Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:43 pm

dcq1974 wrote:
Not sure it offers anything extra to say Gervin/Nottingham etc. and will certainly not replace my favourite WLP002. Good for a stock yeast when there is no time to make a starter.
It adds nothing ? I find gervin/notty to be very neutral in character, was hoping that this yeast would offer that estery goodness to make it worthwhile

dcq1974

Post by dcq1974 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Well if anything, for me I detected a little sulphur burton edge to it but at very low level.
Not a massive ester hit like fullers
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:49 am

Could you push it with higher temps into ester territory?

dcq1974

Post by dcq1974 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Yes that's a good call/test.
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:45 pm

I bought 2 sachets of this. The first went into my porter which has already been mentioned in this thread...it finished at 1018. However it was very heavy on crystal and wheat malts, and as it turns out ended up very nice indeed.
I'm having another go with it today, this time will be a simple English Pale, just 97% MO, 3% Crystal, and First Gold hops with an OG of around 1055. I'm going to mash low to try and get the FG down, and will probably end up fining as not sure this stuff flocculates well.
Wish me luck...

chub1

Post by chub1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Did an Old Peculiar'ish clone with it and ended up at 1.018 and wouldn't shift lower.Have a bitter on the go with it at present, down to 1.014/5 and hoping it gets down to 1.010 at least!

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Well my pale has had nearly 10 days and seems to have finished at a more respectable 1014 which is more what I was shooting for. I mashed low to get that though.
Going to give it a few more days before crashing.
Has anyone used gelatin with this yeast to fine? I read elsewhere that someone tried and it didn't end well.
I'm not to bothered about hazy beer but would prefer it not to be very murky which I fear might be the case with this one

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:21 am

Kohoutec wrote:Well my pale has had nearly 10 days and seems to have finished at a more respectable 1014 which is more what I was shooting for. I mashed low to get that though.
Going to give it a few more days before crashing.
Has anyone used gelatin with this yeast to fine? I read elsewhere that someone tried and it didn't end well.
I'm not to bothered about hazy beer but would prefer it not to be very murky which I fear might be the case with this one
It's not always the type of finings that's at fault. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

clarets7

Post by clarets7 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm

I've done two brews with this yeast now, first a low ABV standard bitter, second a 4.5% Brewers Gold Pale Ale, and both have cleared very well without the need for excessive cold crashing or any finings at all. Just give it time to clear and it will. The Brewers Gold is tasting exceptionally fine as well, just hope I can resist supping it all before Christmas.

chub1

Post by chub1 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:31 pm

chub1 wrote:Did an Old Peculiar'ish clone with it and ended up at 1.018 and wouldn't shift lower.Have a bitter on the go with it at present, down to 1.014/5 and hoping it gets down to 1.010 at least!
Seemes to be finished at 1.014, racked it today and bottle on thursday. Will see how it turns out once bottled and carbed up!

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:13 pm

clarets7 wrote:I've done two brews with this yeast now, first a low ABV standard bitter, second a 4.5% Brewers Gold Pale Ale, and both have cleared very well without the need for excessive cold crashing or any finings at all. Just give it time to clear and it will. The Brewers Gold is tasting exceptionally fine as well, just hope I can resist supping it all before Christmas.
Thats good to know.. I've started to crash my pale today, will probably bottle at the weekend.

chub1

Post by chub1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:39 pm

Bottled my bitter today. Just a shade under 1.014 so around 4%.Had a swig of the dregs and must say it tasted ok and it was nice and clear as well. :)

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Just cracked open the first of my pale ales... It's actually cleared really well. Didn't bother with gelatin or any other finings in the end. And a nice pint to boot. Definitely has a bit of English character to it. I'm beginning to warm to this yeast...

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:30 am

Sounds good. I've yet to use it myself (I'm a fan of WLP002) but reading through the thread it seems very potential - there aren't all that many dried choices for when only modest attenuation is wanted. It seems some people are trying to get low FGs with it but IMO that wouldn't really be expected (or wanted) in an ESB strain.
Kev

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Kev888 wrote:Sounds good. I've yet to use it myself (I'm a fan of WLP002) but reading through the thread it seems very potential - there aren't all that many dried choices for when only modest attenuation is wanted. It seems some people are trying to get low FGs with it but IMO that wouldn't really be expected (or wanted) in an ESB strain.
I've only used WLP002 once. Don't get me wrong, this hasn't dropped like a stone as that does, but it's only had a couple of weeks in the bottle and it's getting there, so no concerns there.
Agree on the FG comment, I was happy with 1014 for my pale although I did mash at 64c to get there...I did a stout with it that didn't get lower than 1020 which I initially thought was a little high, but it was mashed at the higher end of temperatures and had plenty of Crystal/Chocolate malts in it so to be expected really.
For a dry English yeast it's a decent alternative to the usual S-04 which I've never liked.