Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Padalac

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Padalac » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:55 am

Best method with dried yeast is to rehydrate with water and then pitch into the wort.

Get some sterile water around 25c and sprinkle the dried yeast on top. Leave for at least 15mins before agitating and leave at least half an hour to fully rehydrate. You don't need a starter. you don't need to add cooled wort or anything.

Obviously you can do what you want, but this is the consensus, and the recommendations of the yeast manufacturers.

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:43 pm

sladeywadey wrote:I have another brew on since Tuesday using this yeast and it has dropped from 1047 to 1018 in 2 days, mashed at 65c. There is no longer any airlock activity. I will check again on Saturday.

(
1013 yesterday and same today. 71% attenuation. Will set brewpi to cold crash down to 4C from 1500 today.

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Kohoutec wrote:
john luc wrote:After reading this thread I'm thinking there is a reason why this yeast is no longer in use :shock:
Yes seems it might be that way. I've got one more packet, which I'm going to try in a pale... The Porter is very full bodied so not expecting it to finish low, but lower than 1020 :)
Well it's definitely finished. Still at 1020 today despite giving it some agitation and higher temps for a couple of days, so cold crash it is.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:16 pm

soupdragon wrote:Strange that Fullers head brewer is happy to be associated with it though.
I've read comments that people have made about wpl002 not getting below 1.020 which sounds the same as this dried yeast. I understand there are many factors that determine a yeast's behaviour so that in itself is not conclusive. I've contacted Fullers and asked them the question directly, if I get an answer from them I'll post it.

Cheers. Tom
Had a reply today, posted below.

Hi Tom

No it is not Fullers yeast but it is a good approximation of and makes a good ESB. We would not release Fullers yeast to the dried yeast market so I worked with them visiting their plants in Montreal and Vienna to come up with this yeast. I was very happy to endorse it as the beer was very good

Cheers John Keeling

So it might not actually be their own strain but as close as us dried users are likely to get.
Any reports on how the taste of the beer changes with it instead of s-04?

Cheers. Tom

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:30 am

Ahh well done. Good to know

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:44 am

Padalac wrote: you don't need to add cooled wort or anything.
All true but also ensure that the temperature of what you pitch is close to that of the wort. We might find it difficult to detect a 5 degree difference in liquid temp but that can seriously affect yeast and not in a good way.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Good point. Better to get this process out of the wway early ie while maashing so you have time to bring the rehydrated yeast slurry down to pitching temps. Too often I leave it a bit late

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:40 pm

Padalac wrote:Good point. Better to get this process out of the wway early ie while maashing so you have time to bring the rehydrated yeast slurry down to pitching temps. Too often I leave it a bit late
Once it's touched the water, common manufacturers' advice is to get rehydrated yeast pitched (and down to temperature) within half an hour. Any more than that, and it is theoretically going past its best... so they say. I certainly wouldn't do it mid brew and leave it standing for ages. That said, nor would I risk temperature-shocking it for the sake of a few more minutes and another shot of cooled wort.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:21 am

MTW wrote:
Padalac wrote:Good point. Better to get this process out of the wway early ie while maashing so you have time to bring the rehydrated yeast slurry down to pitching temps. Too often I leave it a bit late
Once it's touched the water, common manufacturers' advice is to get rehydrated yeast pitched (and down to temperature) within half an hour. Any more than that, and it is theoretically going past its best... so they say. I certainly wouldn't do it mid brew and leave it standing for ages. That said, nor would I risk temperature-shocking it for the sake of a few more minutes and another shot of cooled wort.
I do the rehydration during cooling of the wort and once I have it at a temperature a couple of degrees or so at the temperature I want to pitch at I aerate the wort if over a 1.050 og otherwise not bother, then pitch as close to the wort temp matching the yeast temp as I can.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Used this today for the first time. Not read all this thread so at the risk of repeating what others have probably said, it's supposed to have pretty low attenuation. With that in mind I mashed much lower than normal (ie with Notty) at 64C instead of 68C and chucked in 400g white sugar. I pitched the stuff after rehydrating as instructed on the pack just 4 hours ago, and the ale is climbing out the goddamn fermenter and smells utterly sublime. Looks promising....

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:51 pm

WTF?!? ^^^^ It's been approx 24hrs since pitching and it's gone from 1050 to a dead-stop at 1014, all at a rock-steady 20C and after incessant mopping up of the overflow. Is this some kind of record? I know I make the finest worts known to all of humanity :lol: but, c'mon.

orlando

Post by orlando » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Capped wrote:WTF?!? ^^^^ It's been approx 24hrs since pitching and it's gone from 1050 to a dead-stop at 1014, all at a rock-steady 20C and after incessant mopping up of the overflow. Is this some kind of record? I know I make the finest worts known to all of humanity :lol: but, c'mon.

=D> 2nd best. :D

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Well I got 500g of this today!

I plan on brewing 2.5bbl of stout on Friday, then I have another brewery coming up brew a Collab with me on Monday, it's going to be a mild, so it would be rude not to use this yeast
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:43 pm

this yeast needs a good cold crash to settle out - i kegged another beer made with this yeast and this time I cold crashed for 3 days and the beer going into the keg was reasonably clear.

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:36 pm

I've been sampling my first ale made with this yeast over the weekend.
It's a nice yeast, nothing like WLP002 or the Fullers strain in my Beers and doesn't clear that well ,like you say, unless you cold crash for a good week I think.

Not sure it offers anything extra to say Gervin/Nottingham etc. and will certainly not replace my favourite WLP002. Good for a stock yeast when there is no time to make a starter.
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html