Yeast harvest

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
gnorwebthgimi

Yeast harvest

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:43 pm

I harvested some Duvel yeast from bottle. It is great and it makes me only want to buy beer with live yeast in.

Erdinger explain on their website that they remove their yeast and re-pitch. I'm going to harvest and brew with this yeast to see what it is like...

I imagine that almost every other beer is void of yeast or has been re-pitched with new yeast but I'm going to do some more experiments.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Re: Yeast harvest

Post by rpt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:07 pm

But do Erdinger repitch with the same strain or is it a different bottling strain? There are plenty of bottle conditioned beers where you can harvest the yeast. A good one that I've had success with is Hopback Summer Lightning.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Almost all the hefe-weisse beers from germany use a lager yeast to condition in the bottle. Not to say it won't make a good beer but it won't be anything like erdinger .

Supposedly Schneider-weisse use their proper yeast in the bottle so maybe find a couple of them

gnorwebthgimi

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks, I'll look out for summer lightening.

I've heard that Timothy Taylor's yeast is really good to brew with but it didn't look like I could bottle harvest.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Erdinger yeast, the point was not to brew a weisse beer but to see what kind of beer their bottling yeast makes.

It's useful to know it might be a lager yeast - I will ferment cooler. I suspect it will have low flocculation properties so it could be problematic fermentation.