3944 Belgian Witbeer Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
BenB

3944 Belgian Witbeer Yeast

Post by BenB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Has anyone used this? I'm trying to decide whether there's something seriously wrong with my latest brew. I brewed a Dubbel exactly a week ago and in preparation made up a starter. The smackpack rapidly swelled and was so tense I was worried it was going to pop (IE good viability). The starter went bionic and spewed yeast all over the kitchen worktop (IE I lost quite a bit of yeast). I still cold crashed it once it had completed, drained off the top bit and swirled and pitched into the cool and oxygenated wort. It's been sat at 22 degrees now for a week and it's dropping the SG but so slowly (1 point per day!). It's got a massive krausen, lots of active foaming on top but the bubbler isn't doing much. All a bit strange- the top of the brew makes me think it should be dropping very rapidly. But it isn't.

I'm thinking I've just under-pitched quite considerably. The yeast had a nice trip in the post to get to me (I reckon the standard viability calculators don't account for that and that it could have a big impact) and who knows how they were stored getting to the shop. Then when I calculated the pitching amount required it was 3L and I've only got a 2L flask so I put in 2.5L and it consequently spewed the top-crop all over the shop.

Sound about right? IE probably less than calculated viability to begin with (due to shipping), under-pitched even not accounting for that and then lost a load of yeast over the kitchen work-tops.

I could easily be 50% under-pitched. I'm just surprised it would have such a dramatic impact on duration of fermentation. Hmmmm.

I guess I'll see what it's like end of this week. If all else fails I'll dump in the KingKeg and leave it somewhere for a month and come back to it later.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: 3944 Belgian Witbeer Yeast

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:59 am

3944 is the same strain as WLP400, and there's a little info on another thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51269&p=798074&hil ... 00#p798074

I didn't have any particular issues with the yeast other than the massive krausen. But then I don't use an airlock during active fermentation - it goes on just above FG before the krausen drops. I'm pretty convinced that there are yeasts that are affected by the conditions that an airlock causes.

My suggestion would be to take the airlock off, give the yeast a rouse and then just cover the airlock hole and see what happens.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

BenB

Post by BenB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Cheers Jocky, glad to see I'm not the only one having issues with this one. I must admit I didn't think of checking for the Whitelabs equivalent! It looks like slow progress and cleaning up work surfaces is standard with this one. I will indeed give it a stir with a sanitised spoon as soon as possible to try and persuade it to get a wiggle on (for one thing I want to free up my temp chamber to get another brew on).

thanks again

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:30 pm

I definitely think that ditching the airlock will also help... but yeah, it's a definite top cropper so leave plenty of space in your fermenter - 25% was not enough to save me, even after cleaning up first time it went off again!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

BenB

Post by BenB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Arse. 25L in a 30L FV? :D It's the biggest FV I could fit in my 2nd temp controlled fermentation chamber (soon to be joined by a third!).