What are Stir Plates supposed to do?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Re: What are Stir Plates supposed to do?

Post by BrannigansLove » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:38 pm

I've not had any problems following the SNS method. I prefer the simplicity of it, and the ability to build my starter the day before I brew.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:34 pm

+1 for the 'Shaken, not Stirred' method.
Used it several times, works brilliantly!

Chug

Post by Chug » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:32 am

I have been using the SNS method up until recently when I made a stir plate, it doesn't seem to make much difference to the starters, it just means I don't have to remember to give it a shake.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:57 pm

It's a good question and always worth questioning the orthodoxy in home brewing, because as we are discovering in many areas, a lot of it is wrong, or carried over from commercial brewing and not so applicable to us.
I have no idea by what mechanism stir plates cause an increase yeast growth, but there is plenty of experimental evidence out there that shows that they do, and by quite a lot. The Braukaiser blog is always worth a read as he really gets stuck into this sort of thing - this page has some good stuff on yeast growth. The SNS method sounds good as well.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:21 pm

I have 3 stir plates but for the last 6 beers used sns, I had a 6-8 hour lag in the starter but an hour or 2, on the 22l.
Haven't noticed any real difference other than that tbh.

BenB

Post by BenB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 pm

It sounds like it's the old Star Trek question when someone asked how the warp drives worked and the Star Trek rep said "just fine thank you" :)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:50 am

When I started brewing, I just put starters in a cupboard and forgot about them. Worked fine. The only problem was that they took days to culture. A stir plate works by keeping the yeast in suspension therefore in contact with resources needed for population growth. It works fine. YW's SNS method was originally proposed as a simple alternative for those who didn't have a stir plate. It works fine. My experiments comparing SNS vs stirred indicated no significant difference in terms of yeast cell (membrane) stress. I now use an orbital shaker, depending on volume. It works fine. My mini starters are SNS; my medium starters are orbitally shaken; and my big starters are stirred. it all works fine. Horses for courses, I guess.