Wyeast 1098 British Ale - Top Cropping

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Fingar

Wyeast 1098 British Ale - Top Cropping

Post by Fingar » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:17 am

Hi Folks,

Re: Wyeast 1098 British Ale

This is only my second experience of top cropping yeast; the first time I did it was with Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire Ale which seemed extremely successful. I wanted to move away from the more time consuming (and wasteful in terms of sacrificed ale) slurry recovery.

Today is Saturday morning.

I pitched the 1098 on Tuesday evening, fermentation began on Wednesday evening, blowing off like a dray horse on Thursday - the ale... not me! I top cropped the Krausen on Thursday afternoon and noted that it wasn't particularly thick (1/2 to 3/4 inch) and discarded it. Fermentation continued pretty vigorously. I have done 3 top crops of this brew since then and there appears to be hardly any sort of krausen - basically just a few bubbles, yet the brew is still glugging merrily this morning.

Is 1098 a low-krausen producer? Has anyone else had experience of top cropping 1098? Is this yeast just a bit of a challenge for top cropping and more suited for slurry recovery? BTW, this yeast is a second generation having been recovered from slurry from another brew.

I think that I have enough yeast in my collection jar for a starter on the next brew.

Cheers... Fingar

McMullan

Re: Wyeast 1098 British Ale - Top Cropping

Post by McMullan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:47 am

I haven't, but you might want to consider IPA's method. He collects yeast-rich wort/beer from just under the head. There is a thread on here somewhere.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:41 am

Here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74852

The only thing that I do differently now is that I use a large syringe to remove the wort from below the krausen.
It is dead simple and works every time plus when you taste it you will know if it has become contaminated. Something that has never happened to me in three years of using this method.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Fingar

Post by Fingar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks IPA.

Just so that I have got this correct... you are only removing 50cl of fermenting wort i.e sticking the syringe below the krausen and drawing off the liquid and not removing any krausen?

Any suggestions for syringe types?

Cheers... Fingar