Burton Ale yeast and sulphur

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
rpt
Hollow Legs

Burton Ale yeast and sulphur

Post by rpt » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:37 pm

How many people are using White Labs WLP-023 Burton Ale yeast? Are you getting sulphur flavours?

My first brew with this yeast was a Northern Brown Ale. I made a starter from the package and fermentation went fine. It was active and I recovered some of the yeast that came out of the blow off tube. The flavour of this beer is good but it has an interesting flavour that seems like sulphur to me. It suits the style so I am happy with this beer.

The next brew was an ordinary bitter and I used the saved yeast, without a starter. The fermentation was very slow to get going and it was a couple of days before there was any activity in the airlock. Fermentation has gone along since then fine but nothing has come out of the blow off. The hydrometer samples have a strong flavour, and again it seems sulphurous to me. So I'm wondering if I under pitched and it has stressed the yeast, causing it to excrete sulphur compounds. I'm hoping that over time this taste will disappear. The fermenter was at 20C but it is now at 24C and hopefully this will help the sulphur dissipate.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Burton Ale yeast and sulphur

Post by Hanglow » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:14 pm

I used that yeast a few times last year and didn't notice any sulphury flavours/aromas. It did have a mineral quality to it that I didn't care for though

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:50 pm

Surely a healthy stink of eggs is in keeping with Burton beers. My overwhelming memory of Marstons Pedigree & Best is the smell of eggy farts.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:33 am

I've just had another hydrometer sample and I think perhaps the flavour is like treacle.