fermentation temp for stouts

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

fermentation temp for stouts

Post by Secla » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Do you still got off flavours in stouts if brewed without any kind of temp control ?
I have a brew fridge! but with a pilsner going on next its going to be in use for a few weeks, my thought is that i could ferment a stout in the house )which is usually 20 degrees or so but probably will fluctuate day/night) as it will likely cover any off flavours produced by the yeast

AnthonyUK

Re: fermentation temp for stouts

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:03 am

I don't think you'll get any off flavours as long as it gets no higher than the low 20's °c but you might if unlucky have a low attenuation and get stuck at 1.020 which for a stout isn't so bad.
Watch out for volcanic ferments indoors with stouts though ;)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:39 am

Stouts will still get the flavours from overly-warm fermentations, but it will be less noticeable than in lightly flavoured beers and (within reason) not quite as out-of-place. An ambient temperature of 20c is a little bit on the high side to be ideal in most cases, as the fermentation will also add heat and so be warmer. But it isn't massively high, either; I'd expect you could get away with it okay.

Yeast choice may also help. Some yeast strains are cleaner-tasting at higher temperatures than others. Some are also more rapid than others too, which can cause more self heating; it depends on batch size and fermenter but the faster ones can add three or four degrees C at their peak whilst others may just be one or two.
Kev

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:05 pm

I've had success with US-05 in stouts, which is particularly fine over a wide temperature range in my experience. Just make sure there's enough adjunct/cara on the bill to leave the body.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery