Wyeast smack packs

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
rpt
Hollow Legs

Wyeast smack packs

Post by rpt » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:07 pm

I've used a Wyeast smack pack for the first time. The instructions say to locate the nutrient packet, move it to a corner and then smack it in the palm of your hand. I couldn't locate the nutrient packet so I smacked the pouch several times in several different orientations in the hope I'd break the nutrient packet. When I came to pitch the yeast this morning the little packet was still intact. What's the secret to this?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Wyeast smack packs

Post by 6470zzy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Here you go mate. Should be all you need for instructions :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9_6QWElyk
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Ignore the instructions, make a starter, add it to that. I've had similar issues getting the nutrient bag to burst, and even when it's gone off, I've had issues with slow startup. Shaken not stirred starter made using the same yeast, I've never had any issues.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:49 pm

As BL typed, just make a starter. It's a lot quicker than finding the 'N spot' :lol:

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:52 pm

Love the yeast, hate the packs.They are the reason I switched to whitelabs.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:13 pm

I think they're both excellent, with a starter. I'm not a huge fan of WL's new packs, though. I find a lot of yeast slurry remains inside. The vials were great for reuse. I have a nice little collection :D

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:10 pm

I once came to the conclusion that locating the nutrient packet in a Wyeast pack was like locating a clitorus in a jockstrap. The chances of finding it are so vanishingly small.

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:35 pm

I've used them many times and have never made a starter. I've always had a good krausen going within 12 - 18 hours. Just squeeze the pack between your fingers from top to bottom to force the nutrient to the bottom and then bang it between your palms a few times. Don't worry about bursting the outer pack they are really tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk