wlp 565 dregs

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

wlp 565 dregs

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:35 pm

I saved some of the trub of my last saison in a sterile mason jar in the fridge, its about 2months old now. I want to use it in the new year, how long will it last for in the fridge? I have decanted most of the beer from it. Is there any prep i need to do prior creating a new starter? I wish the save the trub from the next brew too, how many brews will i have before it goes weird on me? So many questions.......

P

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: wlp 565 dregs

Post by Jocky » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Yeasts will last under beer in the fridge for several months. 3 months I'd be ok with, 6 maybe not, but then I've heard of people keeping yeast like this for over a year and managing to revive it ok.

In any case, you definitely need to do a starter. Leave it under beer until you're ready to do a starter at which time... decant off the beer and pitch what you've saved into a starter. You'll probably only have a few billion to a few hundred million cells that are viable, so start with a smaller starter and build from there.

As for how many repitches you can do, well that depends upon how sterile you can keep everything. If you're autoclaving your mason jars then you'll do better (starsan is not sterilising), but generally 5 repitches is getting to the outer limit. Another option is to do a bigger starter than you need and to keep the remainder.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:03 pm

cheers jock!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:24 pm

With aged slurry, you will get an extended lag phase in the starter. This carries risks, but it's the unavoidable nature of slurry from the bottom of an FV. Don't use all of it. Use a about a teaspoon in a mini starter (150ml) and let it ferment out fully, say 5 days. Then step it up to 1.5L. This 'filters' most of the dead cells and dilutes any unwanted 'guests' that probably lurk in slurry. For future brews, try out IPA's method, which works very well and is way better than using dirty slurry.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Yeh I'd go with,,, make a big starter, use most if it and keep Some young adults that havint been streessed out makin ya booze, so they can make few good babies and not mutants to grow on and make lots of new babies for the next brew. ;9)
To Busy To Add,

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:43 pm

IPA's method probably selects against undesirable mutants, due to the timing and fraction of fermenting wort sampled 8)

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74852