Mangrove Jacks M21 Belgian Wit

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Does anyone have any experience of this? I brewed up a Winter Wit kit from the MM on 06/01 where I overshot a little and ended up with 1.052 SG which was fine, this was mashed at 65c. Grain bill (rounded up) was 50% Pilsner, 47% flaked wheat and 3% Munich Yeast was rehydrated and pitched at 19.5c with activity showing when I checked again around 16 hours later. It appeared to be a vigorous ferment at this stage.

After around 30 hours or so I raised the temp to 20.5 and then another 12 hours later to 21.5 and finally 12 hours later to 22.5. I had a look tonight and not seeing much activity if any at all from the blowoff into the jug of Starsan. This doesn't concern me too much though. Currently I am reading 1.020 which is still a bit high but I appreciate I am only 5 days in.

What I was wondering is if anyone has experience of the yeast and if the attenuation 70-75% range? I will give it as much time as needed and have upped the temperature to 25c to finish which is the upper range. Just looking to see if I am more likely to look out for 1.015 as opposed to 1.012?

The factsheet for this yeast is below.
A traditional, top-fermenting yeast that has a good balance between fruity esters, and warming spice phenolics. The yeast will leave some sweetness, and will drop bright if left long enough.
Technical Characteristics
STRAIN CLASSIFICATION: Saccharomyces cerevisiae RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 64 - 77°F (18 - 25°C) PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS: (5- high, 1- low) ATTENUATION: (70 - 75%)
FLOCCULATION RATE: 2
COMPACTION: 2
VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram DRY WEIGHT: 93 – 96%
WILD YEAST: <1 per 106 cells
TOTAL BACTERIA: <1 per 106 cells
GMO STATUS: GMO Free
Observable traitS
AROMA CHARACTERISTICS:
Belgian Wit yeast presents a very light spice with a hint of bubble-gum character, this yeast works exceptionally well with botanics.
FLAVOR/MOUTHFEEL CHARACTERISTICS:
This yeast has a slightly suppressed Belgian character presenting as phenolic and dry, fruity and very complex character. The mouthfeel is smooth, light, dry and crisp.
HIGHER ALCOHOL BEERS:
With a medium attenuation this strain will struggle with extremely high alcohol beers and may become stressed.

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Re: Mangrove Jacks M21 Belgian Wit

Post by dbambrick996 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 am

I used m21 a few times and had problems with attenuation, looking back on my notes the first brew was 1050 and finished at 1020 and second finished at 1016. I fermented at 20 for 2 weeks , this is less than 60%

I stopped using m21. Did you by any chance do a stepped mash or was it single infusion at 65. I step mashed

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:45 am

dbambrick996 wrote:I used m21 a few times and had problems with attenuation, looking back on my notes the first brew was 1050 and finished at 1020 and second finished at 1016. I fermented at 20 for 2 weeks , this is less than 60%

I stopped using m21. Did you by any chance do a stepped mash or was it single infusion at 65. I step mashed
Interesting! I mashed in at 65c. I use a BM and let this mash for 90 minutes (had other stuff to do) followed by a 5 minute mashout at 78c. I usually do full volume mash but as using Wheat I decided to sparge as wanted to not strain the pump if the mash was too gummy (I did use the oat husks included).

I will give it another 8 days but it does look so far like we are having a similar experience. Part of the learning curve when using a new yeast. I am maybe thinking I should have raised the temperature earlier. The factsheet doesn't really indicate what the optimum temp is only the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:16 am

I won't use this yeast anymore. On the advice of another brewer I have switched to mauribrew weiss yeast. This is a great yeast for all things Weiss.Give it a try and ferment at 19.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:18 pm

I will await judgement until I eventually keg it however from what you have described it looks unlikely it will be a goto yeast for me either.

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 am

dbambrick996 wrote:I won't use this yeast anymore. On the advice of another brewer I have switched to mauribrew weiss yeast. This is a great yeast for all things Weiss.Give it a try and ferment at 19.
I Bavarian Weiss yeast wouldn't be appropriate for a Belgium wit, as it should not taste of cloves or banana
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers