Using dried yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Using dried yeast

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 pm

For reasons far too embarrassing to mention I've managed to kill my White labs 001 which has served me well for several brews.

This means tomorrow's brew will have to use my emergency dried West Coast yeast from the Malt Miller.

Not used dried yeast for years. Does it really need rehydrating in warm water, or can it just be stirred into the wort at about 20C?

Guy

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Re: Using dried yeast

Post by AdrianTrace » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Forget to use cooled boiled water? :D

Most dried yeast can just be sprinkled on top of the wort (not stirred in).
Ready to go: Malt extract, grain, yeast and a freezer full of hops.
Fermenting: Nowt.
Conditioning: Nelson's Revenge.
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

Sura
Tippler

Post by Sura » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:06 pm

You can sprinkle it, but then about half of your yeast cells will die. Rehydrating in warm water is best: Sprinkle it on 25°C-30°C warm (brewing) water, after 15min stirr carefully till you get a milky suspension. After another 10min you can put it into. And dont use wort!

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 pm

Best practice is to rehydrate in warm (30-35C) water (not RO/distilled, must have some mineralisation), then slowly bring it to the temperature of your wort then pitch.

Lots of us just hoy it in dry and make good beer :)

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Be aware that the Malt Miller West Coast yeast often has quite a lag, even when properly rehydrated, and it can take 36 hours or so to see much action at normal temperature, depending on pitch rate and usual variables.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:45 pm

I always just sprinkle on top and then stir it in to wort at about 25C, Then it's into the fermentation fridge set at 18C.

Always make sure is well stirred and aerated before hand.

Never had a failure and don't notice any lag with that West Coast Yeast.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 pm

gobuchul wrote:I always just sprinkle on top and then stir it in to wort at about 25C, Then it's into the fermentation fridge set at 18C.

Unless it's a really big beer >6% aeration isn't necessary with dried yeast. Have you tried rehydration, there are a number of benefits from what I've read and experienced and much less risk too, though I accept you have to practice very good sanitation standards in doing so? On balance the advantages out weigh the risks in my view.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 pm

gobuchul wrote:I always just sprinkle on top and then stir it in to wort at about 25C, Then it's into the fermentation fridge set at 18C.

Maybe MMWC likes a warm start for a few hours then, which I won't disregard. I must admit, I rarely pitch above 18C, even if it's going straight in the brew fridge. However, I've never had any other yeast take so long to get going with my normal process (which includes rehydration), and I've seen plenty of similar reports. That includes a (rehydrated) lager yeast at 12C recently.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:24 pm

MTW wrote:

Maybe MMWC likes a warm start for a few hours then, which I won't disregard. I must admit, I rarely pitch above 18C, even if it's going straight in the brew fridge. However, I've never had any other yeast take so long to get going with my normal process (which includes rehydration), and I've seen plenty of similar reports. That includes a (rehydrated) lager yeast at 12C recently.
Did the MM not up the amount to 15g to combat the lag time? I have only used it a couple of times and it kicked off within 24 hours