Experiences of Liquid Yeast Alternatives

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Fingar

Experiences of Liquid Yeast Alternatives

Post by Fingar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some alternatives to my current liquid yeasts, not just an equivalent chart, but I’d like to pick your brains and get some thoughts and experience on some other yeast which I should try. My current yeast experience is all from Wyeast so I am more than willing to try some other brands:

1469 West Yorkshire: does me great for such things as a typical Yorkshire bitter such as Timothy Taylor Landlord, Boltmaker, Black Sheep clones etc, but I am willing to try some other type of Yahkshah Yayst!

1056 American Ale: Again, I’m happy with this, but was wondering if I should try something like 1272 American Ale II or 1450 Denny’s Favourite. The Wyeast website seems to describe these pretty well, but what about other brands do you use for hoppy ‘mer’can ale?

1098 British Ale: So I’m looking for a bit of variety and something which can give me a bit of a fruity and sweetish British ale; 1318 London Ale III may fill this gap, but then again what about your experience with other brands.

3944 Belgian Witbier: I only have experience of brewing one beer with this yeast which was a fabulous White IPA which I managed to skim from the FV and store for future use. According to Wyeast pages, this yeast seems good for Dubble, Patersbier and a Biere de Garde, all of which I intend to brew in addition to another White IPA as I was so impressed with it. What are your thoughts on other yeasts for the 1st three ales? I’ve used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch for a Biere de Garde in the past and was not impressed.

BTW, I’ve tried dry yeast such as S-04 and US-05.

Cheers… Fingar

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Experiences of Liquid Yeast Alternatives

Post by Dennis King » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Whitelabs WLP002 English yeast. Can't beat it in my opinion.

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Try WLP644 in your American Pales.

From Whitelabs:

"This strain, used traditionally for wild yeast-like fermentations, produces a slightly tart beer with delicate characteristics of mango and pineapple. Can also be used to produce effervescence when bottle-conditioning. This strain is available in PurePitch, which offers increased cell count due to our ability to concentrate the strain in its new packaging.

(Formerly named Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois. WLP644 is packaged as normal Saccharomyces and the pitch rates are the same as Saccharomyces strains)."

I have not brewed with it but have tried a couple of beers at our local brew club and it has impressed me greatly.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:25 pm

1469 is my favourite but I brewed a lot with WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast. It was the first liquid yeast I bought.

Not done much with American yeasts - using WLP008 East Coast after not being wowed by US-05.

edit - yeast harvested from St Austell's Proper Job has done me proud.
Last edited by vacant on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 pm

my favourites from WL

WLP002 - great english style yeast, full bodied but not too sweet and lovely esters
WLP007 -drier, still ovbiously english but is good for hopped up styles too
WLP013 - thought this was great in stouts but also a strong ale I did

I didn't like WLP023 as much, had a mineral taste to it I didn't get on with

Also WLP530 for belgian ales was outstanding. About a foot of krausen though :)

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:54 pm

I really like WLP022 Essex Ale. Ferments well, top crops and nice flavour. It's only available Jan/Feb. Seems to be in stock at BrewUK but not Malt Miller.

I've found WLP023 Burton Ale to be very sulphury. I probably underpitched but most yeasts don't cause me issues.

BenB

Post by BenB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:36 pm

re the 3944 I used it in a dubbel. Didn't like it. Had a lemony twang which in a Witbeer might be nice but in a Dubbel seemed wrong for style. In fact I seem to recall in Gordon Strong's Brewing Better Beer he basically says don't use a Wit yeast in a dubbel and having tried it I agree.....

Fingar

Post by Fingar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies folks.

WLP002 seems like a go to for English Ale.

Appreciate the advice on WLP023 Burton Ale and will not be trying out this one.

Also, thanks for the words of caution on using WY3944 in a Dubble - definately not going to be trying that.

Cheers... Fingar