Hothead yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Hothead yeast

Post by Coffeeuk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Just ordered some hothead yeast from Brewuk. A new range they are offering.

Seems very interesting. A temp range of 16-37 degrees C so no temp control required.

Reviews seem good from our US friends. Gives an apricot fruitiness.

Planning using on a DIPA next week. I'll update the results if anyone's interested.

mozza
Under the Table

Re: Hothead yeast

Post by mozza » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:20 am

Wow, very interesting! Let us know how you get on!
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:28 am

It will be very interesting to hear what this tastes like and how it performs. If its genuinely good and can give repeatable results in the face of temperature variation, then it could be quite handy on some occasions. TBH I'm a little sceptical of it being completely ideal (for most styles) right up to 37c but thats not really how I'd use it, myself.
Kev

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Coffeeuk wrote:Just ordered some hothead yeast from Brewuk. A new range they are offering.

Seems very interesting. A temp range of 16-37 degrees C so no temp control required.

Reviews seem good from our US friends. Gives an apricot fruitiness.

Planning using on a DIPA next week. I'll update the results if anyone's interested.
This blog is worth a look, I found it to be of great interest in learning about Kveik whence the Hothead yeast came from.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/349.html

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:24 pm

If this strain is anything like the Kveik strain I use occasionally, it might very well suit an imperial strength IPA. It should be a vigorous fermenter, with high attentuation/alcohol tolerance and very flocculant. However, I'd recommend temperature control. I think it is a bit misleading to say this strain can be fermented over the stated range without any noticeable differences. Any detectable flavour flaws is what I think they mean. If an ale fermented at the low end were compared with one fermented at the high end, there would be a very noticeable difference, in terms of an amplified ester profile in the latter. For an IPA, I'd say ferment on the low side to produce a more neutral ester profile.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 pm

McMullan wrote:If this strain is anything like the Kveik strain I use occasionally,
What is the kveik strain that you use?
Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:13 pm

As far as I know, mine is isolated from the 'Muri Farm culture'. No bugs, just a pure yeast strain.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 pm

The Yeast Bay do a strain as well. Sigmunds Voss Kveik.

not tried but sounds interesting. orangey notes in an IPA and perhaps Mandarina Bavaria hops? :)

other blogs have these yeast as giving off flavours if fermented colder... i.e. you really want to get them warm/hot. Proof will be in the brewing.

McMullan what is your experience with the Muri strain? sounds like you have actually fermented with it?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 am

I ferment it like a Saison, ramping up the temperature to about 28*C after a couple days at 20. It isn't a bad strain. I use it once or twice a year. If I didn't live in Norway, I don't think I'd use it, TBH. If a Norwegian farmhouse brew is the aim, then I'd say use it. One or two craft breweries in Norway have knocked out a 'traditional ale' using Kveik cultures, but the shelves are not exactly stacked with it. It's a fun curiosity. There are dozens of British brewing strains and their descendant American strains that produce much better IPAs, IMHO.

v-zero

Post by v-zero » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:51 pm

The Yeast Bay Voss Kveik yeast is my house yeast and has been for about six months now. It is actually at its cleanest when fermented around 28C, but I have taken it as far as 32C which pushed a little more of its slight citrus esters. It's a very clean yeast, doesn't produce strong esters, is non-phenolic, ferments out like a beast in no time and drops like a stone. At lower temps (below 24c) it can throw a little sulfur which comes off as lager-like (you can certainly brew pseudo-lagers with it). I co-pitch it with WLP644 in my IPAs which makes for a fantastic, fruity combo. I use a water bath with an aquarium heater for temp control, which is great because it's a lot simpler than a fermentation fridge and keeps a much more consistent temperature.

I fully intend to experiment with OYL-057 (HotHead) now that we can get it here, also.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Do you find attenuation drops at higher temps, v-zero?

v-zero

Post by v-zero » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:17 am

I find it attenuates a little more at high temperatures actually, about 80% . I think the Voss Kveik (well, this single isolate from that mixed culture) is considerably different from the Muri strain.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 am

Apparently, the Muri strain seems to be a lager-like, genetically, whereas Voss is ale. I might have to give Voss a go.

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:15 pm

I'll be brewing this weekend. After reading all the comments above I'm planning to ferment at around 29. I'm really looking forward to using this yeast.

I'm also planning saving some slurry and making a no boil / raw brown ale the next brew.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:21 am

Not tried these yeasts yet but I'm wanting to make more saison-esq beers this year when I can brew again so this is a boookmark.

Do they leave a fair amount of body to beers?