Crossmyloof Brewery Dry Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Crossmyloof Brewery Dry Yeast

Post by Hanglow » Sun May 14, 2017 9:34 am

Lallemand are Canadian aren't they? Although they are pretty big, I'm sure they must have a presence in Germany too

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sun May 14, 2017 11:22 am

I see there is a Facebook page, how do you order, is there an email address

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:26 am

Stesmi2 wrote:Hey Kev, dunno if this helps? "Crossmyloof is a hop selling trading name for our brewery who decided to sell some hops. And that's all we did for a while. But we also have a good working relationship with a German yeast manufacturer, so a range of 10g beer yeast / 5g wine and cider yeast was introduced. It's all packaged by the manufacturer and then re-labeled by CML. The yeast isn't repackaged safale our MJ's, but there're similar characteristics to a few of their yeast strains." - from Steven at Crossmyloof on another forum. Btw there's no presence on ebay/amazon at the moment because they're at a beer festival in Germany. And the only German yeast manufacture I know its Lallemand??? ;)
Thanks, thats useful. A bit unfortunate that everything disappears whilst they go away, but I suppose this is probably just a sideline to their main brewing interests. If i remember, I'll have another look at prices etc. when they're back. At least it sounds like the yeast are being packed by the manufacturer, not the brewery, which is reassuring (hopefully their 'relabelling' leaves the sachets intact).

The provenance seems a little unclear, being similar to mangrove jacks but not mangrove jacks and also from Germany. Perhaps theres an unpublicised German manufacturing branch or some kind of franchise or deal, or else maybe 'similar' is being used more loosely. But no matter really, if the venture succeeds then given time these strains will establish their own reputation and characteristics.

In a way I hope they aren't too similar to MJs, but instead offer something different or extra; the reduced/poorer choice in dried yeast is one key reason I mostly use liquid. Also, for my batch sizes making a starter is cheaper than buying enough fresh yeast; when the CML prices are available again, they could prove to overcome that.
Kev

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:32 am

Fastline wrote:I see there is a Facebook page, how do you order, is there an email address
That was my main reason for asking for a link. Their facebook page has a link/address to an ebay-mobile address (oddly, something to do with pugs IIRC), but currently no stock results showing. According to the above post and the facebook entry they're away at the mo so this may change when they return.
Last edited by Kev888 on Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Stesmi2
Tippler

Post by Stesmi2 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:09 pm

There prices are at the top of their fb page. Most of us just fb message them with our order with a PayPal email address and they send the stuff out. I think they do bacs too. Or on the other forum there's a dedicated thread. There email is doorstep1@live.co.uk for direct ordering too.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Sun May 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Kolsch yeast update. 4 days in at 15c and it's down to 1.016. bumping it up to 18c for a diacetyl rest.

Stesmi2
Tippler

Post by Stesmi2 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 am

Hanglow wrote:Lallemand are Canadian aren't they? Although they are pretty big, I'm sure they must have a presence in Germany too
You may well be right Hanglow :)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon May 15, 2017 9:33 am

Fil wrote:
McMullan wrote:What's the viability of dried yeast?
assuming its from a sealed pack, and hydrated, Very HIGH, more so than a vial in spent liqour subjected to extreme temps during transit.

based on my recollections of reading:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeast-Practica ... ords=yeast
Actually, it’s very low, 70-80%, at best, and often as low as 50%. These low viabilities are factored into the recommended pitching rates. The problem is the conditions promoted by the drying process are very stressful to living cells. As the low viabilities indicate, it results in cell death. What else does it result in? The cells that survive drying ferment sugars and flocculate to produce acceptable beers, but they seem to lose desirable characteristics associated with their flavour profiles, when compared with propagated brewery strains. Relatively few Brewer’s strains survive the drying process without losing a lot of the character that evolved in the brewery. Hence the lack of variety in commercially available dried Brewer’s yeast. Dried yeast are very convenient in some situations, especially for beginners. Baker’s dried yeast do the same thing and they are even cheaper, if cost is a factor.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 am

Bakers yeast.. yikes I shan't be returning to that, a blast from the very distant past. It 'works' and is cheap, but thankfully the world has moved on in terms of home-brewing, it is not for me even though cost is a factor.

Yes, liquid yeast offer more choice of characteristics and flavours, which is mainly why I don't use much dried. But I'm hopeful each time a new dried yeast becomes available; rebranding can be useful for reasons of cost, but if it is also a new type that adds to the pool of characteristics available in dried form then so much the better.

TBH I'm fairly uninterested in how the characteristics changed during drying, since I can't alter that. All that really matters is the end result available to me - what the dried yeast have (or don't have) to offer, and whether that is the best choice for my requirements and tastes.
Kev

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 am

EDIT: No point entering into a debate on dried yeast vs liquid, this is a thread about dried yeast.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Kolsch update.

Brewed 7th May, kegged 20th May. Carbonated at 10psi. Sampled 3rd June and the beer is crisp and clean. Very pleased.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Dave
DaveGillespie wrote:Kolsch update.
Brewed 7th May, kegged 20th May. Carbonated at 10psi. Sampled 3rd June and the beer is crisp and clean. Very pleased.
... sorry if you've posted this elsewhere, but what level of attenuation did that yeast finish up with? I've seen varying feedback on these Crossmyloof yeast(s) finishing with higher than expected FGs, and I've got a beer fermenting with their Kolsch yeast at the moment and would like to know what to expect (in ballpark terms, obviously) :?

Cheers, PhilB

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:42 am

Don't think I have that noted but it was either 1.010 or 1.012 down from 1.050. I also have a split batch Pale ale that I split between US-05 and the CML US Pale - both went from 1.046 to 1.012. That was 5% Caramalt the rest Pale malt.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 am

Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback ... I'm sure you would have noted if the FG had been unexpectedly high, so it sounds like I should ease my worries about the Kolsch yeast, at least :wink:

To add to the discussions around the "provenenance" of these yeasts ... and recognising that I may be "putting 2 and 2 together", spuriously here :? ... but doesn't the "German manufacturer", 10g pack sizes and inclusion of a dried Kolsch yeast in the range (like the "Colonia F" yeast) point to the people over there :?: ... http://www.brauwerkstatt.com/ ... or at least, to wherever they're getting their yeast from :?

Cheers, PhilB

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:40 pm

I remember that yeast being discussed on a few forums and raved about, then no further mention past a couple of years ago. The reviews and profile certainly fit. Good to have easy access to it and I look forward to throwing it at something with a bit of a step mash.

I'll report back on the Pale in due course.