Is switching to Slopes realistic?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Is switching to Slopes realistic?

Post by Meatymc » Mon May 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Although I now have 21 all grain brews (BIAB) under 'my belt' I still consider myself very much the amateur. I've been trying to get a basic IPA brew - varying the grain and hops, and now have a couple of recipes I'm fairly happy with. The one area I haven't really explored are yeasts - tending to use Safale S05 primarily although I've also used Nottingham on a couple of occassionsbut wasn't particularly taken with the result - may not have been anything to do with the yeast of course.

My next 'task was to try recovering a commercially bottled yeast. Bought some St Austells 'Proper Job' - something I had on draft last week on jollies which was excellent, but whilst reading up on the process, I've ended up reading about Brewlabs slopes which seem to be a major improvement on the usual rehydrated dry yeasts. My question is, with the fairly simplistic set-up I have, and having only just mastered rehydration, is it realistic to give slopes a go and if so, what additional 'kit' would I need?

I have read about you experts out there being able to take only a small sample of the original slope (dipping in over time as and when the next batch is needed) or splitting it straight away into a number of 'starters' which are then stored at an appropriate temperature for future use. As a tight-arsed Yorkshireman that definatly appeals to me but I guess I'd need all the right 'kit' and be able to keep a tight control on sanitation.

As I'm on a reasonably tight budget, I'm looking at any way I can to keep costs down. I've 6 hop plants happily growing away in the garden so I'm hoping a reasonable harvet come late Summer will take the bulk of the hop bill out of the equation for late 2017/early 2018 - if I can also get the yeast bill down as well that would be a major result.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Is switching to Slopes realistic?

Post by Fil » Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 pm

grab a copy of the Chris White Yeast book, it details just how to maintain a home yeast lab on a budget, a pressure cooker capable of containing 15psi can perform as an autoclave ;) ptfe tape is a poormans parafilm, and e-ciggy diy coil wire is what you make a loop to smear the plates with, and a spirit burner can be made from 2 x beertin bases and some wick, chinese super markets for agar jelly, ;) . King Scientific will sell you glass plates you can sanitise in a pressure cooker.. tin foil and starsan spray make a quick 'clean surface too..

and if feeling flush a deep plastic storage box with a couple of hand holes cut and a plate of glass on top makes a cheap sterile work box ;)

So very do-able on a budget
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 30, 2017 7:39 am

Fil wrote:grab a copy of the Chris White Yeast book, it details just how to maintain a home yeast lab on a budget, a pressure cooker capable of containing 15psi can perform as an autoclave ;) ptfe tape is a poormans parafilm, and e-ciggy diy coil wire is what you make a loop to smear the plates with, and a spirit burner can be made from 2 x beertin bases and some wick, chinese super markets for agar jelly, ;) . King Scientific will sell you glass plates you can sanitise in a pressure cooker.. tin foil and starsan spray make a quick 'clean surface too..

and if feeling flush a deep plastic storage box with a couple of hand holes cut and a plate of glass on top makes a cheap sterile work box ;)

So very do-able on a budget
Although you can shake regularly, keeps the budget very tight but a PITA, I suggest a stir plate too. Plenty of YouTube vids to show you how to make one from an ex mobile phone charger and computer fan. Whilst "in" King Scientific a 250 ml flask and a 2.5l flask will enable you to step the slants up to a pitchable quantity. You are also going to need autoclavable vials to store the slanted yeast in, get the ones that can stand on end. Working with yeast means understanding the difference between sterilisation and sanitation. Don't even think about doing this without the capability to sterilise. Yeast in such small numbers on a slant are easily out competed by bacteria. This means a PC that can take that big flask, it means the budget has to be larger than you would like but, buying liquid yeasts at £6-£7 a pop soon gets your money back and allows you to have several yeasts to choose from. Whether you think doing all this on a budget is do able will obviously depend on what you think a budget is. To do it properly you will be into 3 figures. :mrgreen:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:47 am

Cheers guys. Given where I am at the moment it looks as though what's necessary to go down this route is probably overly complicated - particularly when only trying to save a bit of dosh.

By coincidence, there's the "Yeast starter or not" thread on the Grain Brewing forum (where I did at first think to place this) with IPA making some interesting points. I might try his method of collecting a sample during fermentation and give that a go and see how I get on.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Meatymc wrote: with IPA making some interesting points. I might try his method of collecting a sample during fermentation and give that a go and see how I get on.
Yeah, a good method and not complicated or expensive. In fact doing it myself, took a sample yesterday and doing so again today and probably tomorrow, that should then give me yeast at different stages of development in the process.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 am

As well as the Brewlab slants there's also Wyeast and White Labs liquid yeast which are easier to use as they come in pitchable quantities or need a small starter. For these starters the shaken not stirred method means you don't need a stir plate. You can use the yeast for several brews by either top cropping or harvesting slurry.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:44 pm

I have done one with a White Labs liquid yeast on an early brew after switching to all-grain and it worked fine.

I'm giving IPA's method a go having taken a sample on Tuesday from my latest (brewed Sunday) although I am a bit concerned about messing around with the wort whilst still actively fermenting - had an infection 3 brews back which I've been able to get rid of so not overly keen on any additional 'exposure'. I'll see how it goes.

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:20 pm

I gave IPAs method a go on the last brew. There's a very thick deposit of yeast at the bottom of my plastic bottle. Stupidly used a brown bottle so can't get a good pic, but looking good. Hoping to brew next week so will get getting a starter going soon

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Haven't got into slants yet, but I hope to one day. I do something in between, which is to make a starter (targeting about 200Bn cells) when I first buy a vial of yeast and split this into 4 or 5 sterilised plastic centrifuge tubes. Then make starters as normal with each, and brew, until there is only one vial left - rinse and repeat. I get at least 20 uses out of one purchased vial of yeast this way, which mitigates the cost somewhat. I do have a home-brewed stir plate (the usual computer fan + magnet arrangement) which works well, and a 2l flask, and also a big (20l) pressure cooker which I use to sterilise my vials.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 am

orlando wrote:
Meatymc wrote: with IPA making some interesting points. I might try his method of collecting a sample during fermentation and give that a go and see how I get on.
Yeah, a good method and not complicated or expensive. In fact doing it myself, took a sample yesterday and doing so again today and probably tomorrow, that should then give me yeast at different stages of development in the process.
Here's proof of storage viability using this method. Look at the date on the storage bottle. It's been in the fridge for two and a half years. It took 30 hours before the krausen formed and this pic is of it 48 hours in. I will be pitching it into a brew later this week.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:04 am

That's impressive =D>

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 pm

I'd be well happy with that!!

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Kohoutec wrote:I gave IPAs method a go on the last brew. There's a very thick deposit of yeast at the bottom of my plastic bottle. Stupidly used a brown bottle so can't get a good pic, but looking good. Hoping to brew next week so will get getting a starter going soon
Happy to say I used this yeast in yesterday's brew and it's kicked off fermentation within about 14 hours.

I put it in a 1l starter on Tuesday and was a little concerned as it wasn't the most active starter I've seen. But it fermented out and after crashing looked ok.

I drew off a litre of wort 20 minutes into the boil yesterday and once temperatures were right for it going in that whilst finishing the brew. By the time the wort had chilled (which in this heat took a while!) it was showing signs of life and is now quite happily plugging away in the brew fridge.

I'll be taking another bottles worth out tomorrow for the next brew