Safale S-04 characteristics

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Safale S-04 characteristics

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08 am

Fermenting out a Munich/Simcoe smash at the moment. For no real reason, other than not ever using it before, I used rehydrated S-04. Brewing procedure exactly the same as normal - unique bits are Munich as a smash and the yeast.

We're down to 1014 and steady for 3 days (11 days total in the fermenter). A bit higher than I would have liked but the OG was higher than expected so the span is fine. However, and for the 1st time in all my 20+ BIAB brews, there is still a lot of 'stuff' in suspension and what I think people refer to as yeast rafts (from Googled images and supporting articles) on the surface. Not found any general comments suggesting S-04 doesn't flocculate well so is this unusual? Or could it be the malt?

Is it cold crashing time or should I wait a bit longer?

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Safale S-04 characteristics

Post by alexlark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm

I've had S-04 finish high. If you're bottling you could leave it a bit longer to make sure it's finished, maybe raise the temp a few degrees if you can. Or if you keg, crash now and get it kegged and enjoy those lovely simcoe hops early.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Although wasn't really bothered about it finishing a little high I did up the temp to 22 degrees for a couple of days and lo and behold, no change to the FG but clear as a bell and a very compact trub.

I've taken a sample of this as per IPA's yeast collecting method to give that a go before moving on to recovering from commercial bottled beers.

I might get a bit side tracked though - fallen for reading up on what WA has been up to and fancy a deep blue gooseberry TC! Well, why the hell not!!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Guess it had finished then. Like I said I've had S04 do that. I've also got IPA's yeast harvesting method on my to-do list!

I'm beginning to thing Wales has shares in Lowics syrup lol!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Yes, one of the characteristics of S-04 is that it doesn't (usually) over-attenuate; combined with the munich this should leave a fairly full tasting beer, which (depending on the style) is often a good thing. You'll get some flavour from the S-04 too; there are those who like its flavour and those who don't, but at those temperatures its deeply unlikely to be anything extreme.

It should be remembered that flocculation is the tendency for yeast to floc together. Contrary to some incorrect usages of the term, it doesn't necessarily imply then sinking; sometimes these clumps can float instead, as can other debris. Most fermentations will see the stuff on top settle given a little time, and S-04 does tend to settle out fairly well so i'd expect it to do so. But if not then careful racking can capture the beer between top and bottom.
Kev

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:34 am

Well it held together so well I reckon I left well less than a pint in the primary and no issues on bottling. Just a question now of waiting to see how it turns out but suppose I should really repeat with a different yeast to see what impact the S-04 has had