No Chill Saison with WLP565, secondary or not?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
chrisbjones202
Steady Drinker

No Chill Saison with WLP565, secondary or not?

Post by chrisbjones202 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi all,

Brewed a Saison the weekend and did a no chill (as I struggled to get the temp down when I brewed last month) adding the aroma hop to the cube before filling.

I tipped into FV last night and pitched the yeast at 18C. Quite a bit of trub and hops ended up in the FV and I was considering moving to secondary to get off the hops (I don't normally secondary) as 565 could take a while to finish but worried it would make it more lightly to stall.

I was planning to ramp up the temp from Thurs night.

Does anybody secondary with 565 and if so when? I will be away from day 11 to 20 which is how long I left the first time with this yeast, I'm just worried about the amount of trub and hops it would be sat on at 28C.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: No Chill Saison with WLP565, secondary or not?

Post by Jocky » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:32 am

565 doesn't stall if you don't use an airlock for the majority of fermentation.

I pitch it at 20 and hold it there for a couple of days before letting it go to whatever temperature it feels like, although the I do tend to ramp the ambient temperature gradually to hit 30c.

Last saison I did hit 1.004 after 5 days from 1.057 and won it's table at the London and South competition.

Coming back to the question... I wouldn't bother with a secondary. Get it fermented as I've described above, then if you have the space stick it in a fridge while you're away to drop the majority of the yeast.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

chrisbjones202
Steady Drinker

Re: No Chill Saison with WLP565, secondary or not?

Post by chrisbjones202 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 pm

No airlock and it's in the fridge. I'll start ramping up slowly from the morning. Hopefully get there by next Friday.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk