yeast storage

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
robbarwell
Hollow Legs

yeast storage

Post by robbarwell » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:46 am

Ive got a slant of a nice yeast and want to use this on a monthly basis. Which method of storage do you suggest? I can freeze it with glycerin or bung it in the fridge under beer. any other sugestions

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: yeast storage

Post by Fil » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:54 am

ideally make a dozen or so more slants from the starter you build from #1, while ideally you would spread a plate first and select optimum colonies for nurturing on a slant and storing, you can cut a corner by simply stab or smear inoculating each slant from your starter liquor.

get some autoclavable vials via ebay, gelatine from a chinese supermarket and boil a circa 1.040 dme solution to achieve hot break, and filter (add water to 100g of dme to make 1l of liquor).

mix the gelitine in and fill the vials before using a pressure cooker to sanatise, when out of the pressure cooker use a plate to prop the vials up to form the slant and set while they cool. the chris while and Jamil zainasheff yeast book details all the procedures and is a damn good read if the subject interests you.

if you cant borrow beg or steal a pressure cooker to sanitise the next best approach is to tyndalise the slant liquor, which is to boil 3 x over 3 days, afaik the reasoning is that any spores in dormant stage that survive boils 1 and 2 will get stimulated into vulnerability and get knocked off by boil #3..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am

Read my post on this thread. It is dead simple. I have been saving the same yeast for four years using this method.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78251#p812576
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:55 am

If you are going to use them up in a month refrigeration is good enough. I have revived 9 month old refrigerated slants. It is such a relatively simple thing to do to replate an old slant and start again I don't think it is worth the aggro of freezing with glycol unless the yeast is a very rare one that you only use once a year.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 pm

IPA wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am
Read my post on this thread. It is dead simple. I have been saving the same yeast for four years using this method.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78251#p812576
Excellent.. I think Ill try all methods to belt and brace