Crossmyloof - too good to be true?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
DaveGillespie

Re: Crossmyloof - too good to be true?

Post by DaveGillespie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:11 pm

I've stated my experiences elsewhere but here goes again:

US Pale - only brewed once, so no firm conclusions. Did the job well enough.

Kolsch - absolutely fantastic stuff. I've done two full Corny length brews with this using two packets into 21 litres of wort fermented at 15C and produced an excellent crisp beer that would easily pass for a good lager. I've also done a smaller 15 litre batch fermented under 20PSI pressure using one packet at 20C - still clearing but attenuation is fine and the taste is up to scratch with the other batches. This'll be my go to yeast for the forseeable future to keep a wife/visitor friendly Lager on tap.

Stesmi2
Tippler

Post by Stesmi2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 pm

HairyJamie wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 pm
Stesmi2 wrote:
Kev888 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am

Hi Stephen, it may be worth reviewing the webpage link on your facebook's contacts/about panel. I don't know if it is broken or just for mobile devices, but at least on proper laptops/computers it just delivers an empty ebay page; for months I kept visiting and thought you never had any stock listed.
Hi Kev. It's a broken link Kev. We're building a web site at the moment (albeit slowly) and then the links will be back up and running - hopefully :)
Hi,

You don't appear to have any eBay listings at the moment either?

I'm not on Facebook, any way to get an order to you?

Loving the Kolsch yeast by the way Image

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
That's it all back up Jamie. some eBay system problem I believe. Cheers fella! S

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Good man , order is in

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Cheers, I got my samples ( kolsh, American ale, & Belgium yeast) throught the door to day,, it will be a few weeks and a few weeks more for the others till I get a brew on, and then a few weeks till I sample the beer,
But I will post back on the results.
Cheers once agian..
To Busy To Add,

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:26 am

I see your saison yeast is up on your ebay shop, but the attenuation seems a bit low for a saison, (77 to 83 %) is that correct? most tend to be 90% or so

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Ok, I'm fairly new to brewing (only really done mead and country wines in the past) so I don't have tons of experience with different yeasts. However I thought I would chip in, having used some CML yeasts.

First up, their mead yeast. Mead got me into brewing in the first place. In the past I used to use Youngs super wine yeast, it produced very high alcohol mead that was as rough as it comes even 12 months on... More recently I've been using Lalvin 71b-1122 for melomels and the CML for normal meads. The CML ferments like a lunatic! From tasting the trial jars I'd say the Lalvin is better for anything you want to drink quickly (no real throat burn) where the CML I'm now reserving for meads that are going to be given more time to mature, the mead has more flavour of honey in there than any I made with Lalvin 71b, but also burns the back of your throat like a beast. :lol:

Next up, their cider yeast. Used a sachet to make my first turbo cider in a 23 litre batch, got about 4-5 litres left as it was so delicious. No throat burn, no sulphur smells. Quite a tart cider (I don't believe that the yeast is sweetened), but primed beautifully with a good apple flavour, bizarrely with a tiny hint of pear at the back of the tongue (bizarre as I didn't use pear juice, just 100% pure apple juice... lol).

Last the real ale yeast. I used 1 sachet to fix a stuck ferment on a Headcracker kit. Did the job, and tasting the trial jar yesterday it's absolutely delicious! When I tasted it when stuck it was way too sweet, with a flavour that just wasn't good at all. Post CML sample it tastes LESS of alcohol (even though there is now more in there), less sweet with lovely tones of malt and caramel. Possibly not what Headcracker is supposed to taste like, but my wife agreed it was delicious. I also used CML real ale yeast in place of the supplied yeast on a Wherry kit, after reading all of the posts on the internet about this sticking too. I used 2 sachets and won't be doing that again, 1 is enough! It blew the water right out of my airlock it kicked off so much, then filled it with foam, giving me my first opportunity to try out using a blow off tube.... :lol: 4 days later and seem to have finished fermenting, I'll take a trial jar sample later and test the SG, which will of course lead to a quick taste... I'll let you know how it tastes then. :wink:

As to customer service, my first couple of orders I got the standard automated but humorous email upon dispatch, upon replying I got a quite fast reply. My most recent order with them was for 2 25g "teabags" of Citra hops (will be my first foray into tweaking kits with dry hopping), the dispatch email was from Steven himself this time, I like this sort of personal service, it's always a plus if you can get a good working relationship going with a supplier. :)

Those asking about an alternative to ebay or facebook, maybe you could arrange something via email? His price list is usually available in a PDF, and I believe he does take orders via email, and then sends you a paypal payment request before he dispatches. Their prices are even better when you consider the processing fees PayPal add... lol

As I said at the beginning, just a newbies take on things really. Oh, and the yeasts come with a relevant recipe. Mead yeast came with a mead recipe, cider yeast a cider recipe, real ale yeast a recipe for an all grain bitter. So a nice little added extra.

shepp

Post by shepp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 pm

I am drinking an Oktoberfest from Greg Hughes book, fermented with CML Kolsch Yeast.
I used the Brulosophy method starting at 14.5c

It's my first lager style beer and has turned out lovely, really full flavoured and within style.

BeerCat

Post by BeerCat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 pm

I am a big fan of the Kolsch yeast. Makes a very drinkable crisp beer. The US pale ale is also very good and have used it for the last 6 months on mainly IPA'a but it makes a good Stout as well.

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:38 pm

I just brewed a bog standard Kolsch using 2 packs of this yeast, I have just literally racked to the FV. I bought one of these Fermentasaurus fermenters from the MM during the week so this my first run.

Going to ferment under pressure at 5/6 psi until the last few points then up it to carbonation level. Will transfer direct to keg and bottle (beer gun) once it has been crashed and possibly had a gelatin fix.

Lots of protein break which I can dump later tho may not bother. Brewpi set to 15c for 3 days then up to 20 by day 5. I could probably go higher from the off as fermenting under pressure means less undesirables apparently but will play it safe this time round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk