Yeast Starters

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Yeast Starters

Post by WalesAles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:59 pm

I think I know more about enzymes than Chris White, TBH.
Mc,
How do you know?
Are you are an enzymologist? :D

WA

Sent from my Sofa.

wessexwyvern

Post by wessexwyvern » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm

If you ever decide you can be arsed it's cwhite@whitelabs.com

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am

WalesAles wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 pm
McMullan wrote:

Mc,
How do you know?
No, I'm not an enzymologist, WA. My background is in molecular biology, though. Genes that code for an enzyme are not down-regulated (switched off) irreversibly, under favourable conditions, simply by a temporary lack of substrate. And I know it's not me suggesting otherwise :D

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:30 am

McMullan wrote:
WalesAles wrote:
McMullan wrote:

Mc,
How do you know?
No, I'm not an enzymologist, WA. My background is in molecular biology, though. Genes that code for an enzyme are not down-regulated (switched off) irreversibly, under favourable conditions, simply by a temporary lack of substrate. And I know it's not me suggesting otherwise :D
I second that although I'm a chemist originally but in genetics now. McM is making sense :)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 am

McMullan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am
WalesAles wrote:
McMullan wrote:

Mc,
How do you know?
Mc,
I bow down to your superior knowledge. =D>
I am suitably chastised.

WA

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 am

wessexwyvern wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm
If you ever decide you can be arsed it's cwhite@whitelabs.com
[/quote

wes,
I was arsed and now the ELC has made me want some WLP073 Artisanal Country Ale Yeast #-o

WA

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 pm

McMullan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am
Don't be upset by my posts McMullan; biology is the science I didn't study to a high level so I'm fairly ignorant in this area, and doff my cap to you. I did think White's book was considered the reference on yeast, so a bit taken aback to be told otherwise.

All the same I've been frequenting this forum rather a while now, and I feel like this is the first time this has come up... Is everyone else quietly knocking up starters with Silver Spoon and marmite and keeping it on the down low?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 am

Who is knocking the book, Jambo? As far as I'm aware there is no alternative intro to the subject at the home-brew level. I would guess most of it is accurate therefore useful. I wouldn't judge it based on one statement that might have been considered relevant at the time of writing. It's a complex subject. A lot of research ends up not being validated sufficiently, often due to poor experimental design. It's no big deal. The worst thing to do is assume an idea associated with a specific set of conditions can be applied generally, without any knowledge it works generally. It might be that a particular lager yeast grows slightly better in malt-based media, for example. It doesn't mean it applies to ale strains, or other lager strains for that matter. I suspect most use malt for starters. Without sufficient nutrients, a simple sugar starter is going to fail.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:41 am

Using the logic that the yeast is going to ferment my wort I do a ten litre 1040 mash and split it into six 1.2 litre plastic bottles which I then store in the freezer. I then defrost one when needed boil it and use it for my starter.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)