Belle Saison - Preferred temperature range

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Belle Saison - Preferred temperature range

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Interested to hear folks views on what is their preferred temperature range using this yeast? I have used it before but kept it on the low side at 17 then a rise to 20c.

I have brewed a Saison today, pitching the yeast at 18.5c however letting the fridge naturally rise to 25c using BrewPi where I am making use of the separate temperature probe whilst being able to monitor how the beer rises. Anyway, any experiences would be appreciated and if anyone has a top limit as prepared to up it further if I can.

The notes which come with it state
Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 5 days above 17°C (63°F)
but doesn't go much further in terms of temperature ranges etc. I understand it is close to WY3711 but again just looking for some forum views :D.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Belle Saison - Preferred temperature range

Post by MTW » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Only one experience so far for me, but the 'natural rise' never happened. I pitched at 19C and controlled it there for 30 hours before turning off the cooling side. Fermentation was prompt and strong, but the temperature never lifted on its own, and I ended up taking it manually up to 25 over a few days. 1.041 to 1.001 in a week and possibly still going. Tastes good and clean; dry but still with some mouthfeel, I think. Pretty much a Belgian pale taste but dryer, but we'll see how it develops.

It's possible I may have held it too long at 19, hoping to bring out some lower end spice. Maybe it would have lifted immediately.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks for sharing. It has risen to 22c already with the fridge just under 25c so will no doubt be thereabouts by the time it starts actively fermenting. I'll keep an eye and go from there.
Last edited by Rhodesy on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am

I've pitched at 20c and let it ferment at 25c before, was pretty pleased with it. I'v ordered some more and will be brewing a saison this week, going to co-pitch it with the mangrove jacks one

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:29 am

Did you you find it fermented fast at that range?

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 am

Just checking I bottled at 11 days

I have seen some posts on other forums though that say it takes a while to eat the final couple of gravity points

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:50 am

Cool, not in any rush. I need to check my notes from the last time I used this but do recall it going and going at the end just when you thought it was done. I mashed at 64c with an og of 1.047 so expect it to go right down.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

It is coming along quite nicely fermenting away. It hit 25c this morning and had a small rise.

I have now ramped it to 28c fridge temp for another free rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 am

Ah, ok. Regarding my post, I was looking for the yeast to drive the beer temp up, ready to follow it with the heater when it did, to avoid it flopping. You set the heater to 25, now 28, and let the beer warm up to that from the outset. If that's what other folk are calling a free rise too, then maybe I was rather optimistic! Looks like it got half a degree higher on its own before the 28 hike on your chart.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:34 am

MTW wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 am
Ah, ok. Regarding my post, I was looking for the yeast to drive the beer temp up, ready to follow it with the heater when it did, to avoid it flopping. You set the heater to 25, now 28, and let the beer warm up to that from the outset. If that's what other folk are calling a free rise too, then maybe I was rather optimistic! Looks like it got half a degree higher on its own before the 28 hike on your chart.
Ahh yeah, my 'free rise' term is probably not wholly accurate in that regard. Mines was more in line of letting the fridge gradually rise with the beer to follow as it should take longer for the beer to regulate to the temperature as the fridge probe is out in the open in the ambient air.

I think if I say set it to 20c and then left it then on its own it could maybe be a 2c odd bump? Certainly one to test

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:36 am

This was it as of this morning when I checked. Will leave it for now and see how it goes

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Rhodesy wrote:Interested to hear folks views on what is their preferred temperature range using this yeast? I have used it before but kept it on the low side at 17 then a rise to 20c.

I have brewed a Saison today, pitching the yeast at 18.5c however letting the fridge naturally rise to 25c using BrewPi where I am making use of the separate temperature probe whilst being able to monitor how the beer rises. Anyway, any experiences would be appreciated and if anyone has a top limit as prepared to up it further if I can.

The notes which come with it state
Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 5 days above 17°C (63°F)
but doesn't go much further in terms of temperature ranges etc. I understand it is close to WY3711 but again just looking for some forum views :D.
Hi,

I had great results recently holding the fridge temp at 20 for 2 days then ramping up to 28 over the next 4, holding it there for several more days until I got stable gravity readings.

Loads of wonderful flavours from my dead siimple grain / hop combo and all my freeloader mates think it my best brew yet.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Good to hear that! I too have freeloader mates so hopefully be the same case that they enjoy.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Had a look tonight where you see the fridge temp drop on me opening the door :-).

As in line with the graph it looks like the main part of the ferment is over but likely still eating away. Will take a gravity reading tomorrow then leave it a few days at the very least.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:18 am

I took a reading just there which is coming in at 1.004 so currently sitting at 91% attenuation from an OG of 1.046. I'll leave it for a few days and then see where it is at, the sample is smelling great.