Problems with WLP 001 clearing

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Problems with WLP 001 clearing

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:49 pm

My latest batch of WLP 001 from The Malt Miller isn't clearing as well it usually does.

The finished beer is always fined with adjunct and isinglass in the keg. Always clear after 24-36 hours.

This latest batch of WLP 001 has taken close on two weeks to clear on the two occasions I've used it. A batch of WLP 007 is behaving perfectly. Used it twice, both times it's cleared in a day or so.

The WLP 001 is lot# 1044337. Manufactured 18 September 2017, best by 17 March 2018.

Anyone else using this batch and having any problems?

Guy

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Problems with WLP 001 clearing

Post by MTW » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:11 pm

I happen to have one in stock from the same batch, which is surplus to requirements. I've offered it as a swap on this thread, but I still have it.

If Isinglass isn't clearing it, perhaps it's not the yeast... but if you (or anyone, failing that) wants to do a test with my one from the same batch, I will happily stick a 1st class large stamp on it in some bubblewrap and send it to you. Nothing required in return, other than a word on how it turns out!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi MTW

Offer accepted, thanks. Very kind of you.

I'll PM you my address.

Guy

Ps The wort was crystal clear going into the FV.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Sorted!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Did you cold crash and if so how long? I find it likes it if you do. Do you know what your mash pH was? It might just be something else/
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Crash cooled to about 7C for 48 hours. My usual practice. WLP 001 has always settled fine in the keg. I drop it into the keg, add finings and it's clear in well under two days.

The mash pH was 5.4--possibly! I'm not convinced the buffers I use to calibrate the pH meter are still any good, so I've sent off for some fresh ones.

I usually get 4 or 5 brews from each sachet before chucking it and starting with a fresh one. This is a fresh one. Made up in a 1L starter, fermented fine. Just doesn't seem to want to settle.

Guy

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:39 pm

I assume you've let a sample come up to room temperature for a bit; yeast haze obviously won't clear like some others when warmed up. Maybe you could get a small (test tube-ish) sample to settle quicker to check for a whitish yeast deposit. If you can't get yeast out of a sample that has been sat for a while, I'd point the finger elsewhere.