wyeast west yorkshire

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

wyeast west yorkshire

Post by lee1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm

hi all just started using this yeast with great results i have seen before about putting a new wort directly on to yeast already used in fermentor how or does it work and any method how to do this thanks lee :)
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Re: wyeast west yorkshire

Post by robbarwell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 pm

I think this yeast is a top cropper, so reuse is scraping off a bit of fresh yeast and keeping it in the fridge isn't it

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 pm

You can top-crop this yeast and save it for another brew. Or, just reuse the yeast that has sunk to the bottom after fermentation.

If top cropping, best to do this after around 48 hours and make sure you leave enough to cover your existing brew.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am

It's not a method I've used (mainly because I don't get two brew days close enough together!) but i'm sure I've read that if you're dumping onto the previous yeast cake, remove around 3/4 of it first. The remaining 1/4 is (apparently) a better amount, leaving enough room for growth of fresh cells and avoiding an over pitch. Happy to be contradicted by anyone who's tried it. I wouldn't fancy it if I'd just done a load of FV hopping in the same vessel either, unbagged.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 am

I do it differently , I leave a liter or so of fermented wort in the fermentor and swirl it around the yeast and take that as my 'new' yeast and pitch that into a fresh fermentor with the new wort. One is I believe the trub on the very bottom of the previous fermentor is basically crap/trub/dead yeast , and I won't have any yeast 'climb' on the walls of the fermentor to worry about, like the ring that the krausen leaves behind.