Lallemand New England yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Markg1968

Lallemand New England yeast

Post by Markg1968 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 pm

I wondered if anyone had tried this yeast yet? I got a 25 g pack from Get er Brewed recently and hydrated and pitched into a NEIPA. The yeast was kicking off pretty pungent sulphur notes before pitching. The yeast took ~36 hrs before it started fermenting as described. I fermented at 20 C for 5 days and then ramped up to 22 C for 2 days. Took a sample from my SS Brewbucket a few days ago before the 2nd dry hop and it tasted pretty “funky!” Not quite what I expected! I plan to keg it this weekend so I’ll see how it turns out.

What are other people’s first impressions of this yeast?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Lallemand New England yeast

Post by Rookie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Markg1968 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 pm
I wondered if anyone had tried this yeast yet? I got a 25 g pack from Get er Brewed recently and hydrated and pitched into a NEIPA. The yeast was kicking off pretty pungent sulphur notes before pitching. The yeast took ~36 hrs before it started fermenting as described. I fermented at 20 C for 5 days and then ramped up to 22 C for 2 days. Took a sample from my SS Brewbucket a few days ago before the 2nd dry hop and it tasted pretty “funky!” Not quite what I expected! I plan to keg it this weekend so I’ll see how it turns out.

What are other people’s first impressions of this yeast?
I think I'd give it a bunch more time before kegging.
I'm just here for the beer.

Markg1968

Re: Lallemand New England yeast

Post by Markg1968 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Really? It will have been in the fermenter for 15 days by the time I keg. I don't generally leave low to moderate strength beers in the fermenter longer than that.