Windsor - fast fermenter?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Bazz
Piss Artist

Windsor - fast fermenter?

Post by Bazz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi all, been a while since i last posted, i've been busy moving house and now that the dust has settled i'm back brewing. Which brings me to the topic of this post, is Windsor normally a fast fermenter? i brewed with this on Tuesday and checked on it after 24 hours and the blow off tube was going like the clappers! I reckon if i took a sample now after 48 hours it would be pretty much done.

stokie_spaceman
Steady Drinker

Re: Windsor - fast fermenter?

Post by stokie_spaceman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Beware. Windsor starts fast and is very vigourous initially. It will generally appear to stop suddenly, usually with a moderately high sg depending on fermentables in your wort. It will then dally around, luring you into thinking it has finished. It will then start up again after 2 or 3 weeks and come down to levels you didn't expect from a low attenuator. Ive had 1.010 fg once, after plenty of time. Mash temp and grist can have a big impact on this yeast as well. I've used cold crashing and gelatine with some success for clearing...or plenty of time. Don't rush this yeast. But it can produce some nice beers of typical English style.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bazz
Piss Artist

Re: Windsor - fast fermenter?

Post by Bazz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm not in a rush with this one so I'll keep an eye on it for a week or so. The brew day went really well, mashed low and hit my target of 64degC and the grist is 100% pale ale malt so it should be very fermentable.