Possible mistake

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Possible mistake

Post by guypettigrew » Fri May 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Monday will be brewday so today (Friday) I've made a starter.

The yeast is White Labs 005, harvested from a brew on April 22nd, 19 days ago.

Stored like this, but in the 'fridge.
P1000962.JPG
Before making up the starter liquid (115g DME in a litre of water) the yeast was taken out of the 'fridge. After an hour or so the yeast all rose to the top of the jar. No picture, sorry. Then most of it settled back down to the bottom, but not all of it.

To make the starter I used the yeast which was still floating.

Here's my concern. Have I selected out a strain which won't drop out of the finished beer?

If I have, then I'd better start again and select the yeast which settled back down again.

Guy

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Possible mistake

Post by Fil » Fri May 11, 2018 11:39 pm

while im no expert i think that the yeast that floated just happened to have generated a tad more CO2 and retained it perhaps thru surface tension as it warmed up from dormancy.

I would suggest that if it were a case of strain separation, the floating yeast would be distinct single cells and be a soup, with no discernable clumps..

And if you had such a strain in your starter it must also be previlant in the brew that provided the yeast sample so did does that exhibit any problems??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Possible mistake

Post by guypettigrew » Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 am

Thanks.

The beer the yeast was harvested from cleared perfectly. But I use finings adjunct and isinglass, which would probably clear almost any beer if the yeast was causing a haze!

Fingers crossed your theory is right. I'll carry on with this starter and see how it goes.

Guy