Whitelabs yeast prices

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Whitelabs yeast prices

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 pm

Has Chris White at Whitelabs gone mad?!! Has his business sense deserted him, is he just trying to make a fast buck?

I've just looked at the MM site and the WLP001 'next generation' is £13.95 a sachet. A 55% increase over the earlier version.

Chris White claims it contains 7.5 million cells/ml. The commercial pitching rate, apparently. And it can now be pitched straight into a 23 litre brew with no starter. But that's what he claimed before he upped the price.

It won't increase the number of cells I harvest from the first brew for subsequent fermentations.

All very strange, smells of profiteering.

I'm now thinking I should look further into the Brewlab slants.

Guy

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Re: Whitelabs yeast prices

Post by ozroger » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:45 pm

Blame the war!

(That's the gold standard excuse for rising prices on anything in this neck of the woods)

LeeH
Under the Table

Whitelabs yeast prices

Post by LeeH » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:14 am

I can understand using liquid for the more exotic strains, but the bogo WPL001, you can just throw in a pack of M44 at 3 squid a shot.

Do you collect and reuse?

I’ve just bought Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire for a Landlord clone at 7.49.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:42 am

Gone mad I think. I suspect there is an element of cost increase in production (electricity price & consumables most probably). But surely not that much.

I have just bought 5 sachets for £8 from Cross myloof. IMO wet yeast, stainless Steel fermenters and brand name trainers do not necessarily make better beer imo 😉👍😂

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:09 am

Use Brewlab. 6 quid a pop plus postage
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by borischarlton » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:08 am

The amazing thing is, we import the yeast from the States and still charge less than home brewers are paying for it from MoreBeer. That means somewhere there is a big issue. https://www.morebeer.com/products/wlp00 ... -labs.html

The exchange rate, shipping etc is taking it's toll so along with everything else, yeast is only going one way.
Last edited by borischarlton on Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by borischarlton » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:15 am

IPA wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:09 am
Use Brewlab. 6 quid a pop plus postage
That is a great option, but, not really a comparison. Those are slants that take skill, time and effort as well extra ingredients to propagate. We are however looking at every possible option for supplying yeast to suit every budget and requirement.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:26 pm

LeeH wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:14 am
I can understand using liquid for the more exotic strains, but the bogo WPL001, you can just throw in a pack of M44 at 3 squid a shot.

Do you collect and reuse?

I’ve just bought Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire for a Landlord clone at 7.49.
Yes, I do collect and re use. As you'd expect, my technique is not up to laboratory standards. After the initial use I re use a further two or three times only to minimise the chance of infection. I always make a starter, even for the first use. Ensures the fermentation gets going in a few hours.

The Brewlab's slants seem straightforward to use. The instructions say the yeast can be washed off the slope using some of the starter malt solution, then tipped into the starter flask.

Guy

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:36 pm

Is it that same price everywhere? I see a lot of different prices at different shops in the States.
I'm just here for the beer.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:46 am

borischarlton wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:08 am
The amazing thing is, we import the yeast from the States and still charge less than home brewers are paying for it from MoreBeer. That means somewhere there is a big issue. https://www.morebeer.com/products/wlp00 ... -labs.html

The exchange rate, shipping etc is taking it's toll so along with everything else, yeast is only going one way.
I just had a look at the price of pale malt on that site. 60 dollars for 25 kilos ! ! ! ! Is the cheapest they sell.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:00 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:46 am

I just had a look at the price of pale malt on that site. 60 dollars for 25 kilos ! ! ! ! Is the cheapest they sell.
Yes, I’m always astonished how cheap malt is in the UK. I use Maris Otter because it’s only slightly more expensive than domestic malt! Usually $75 vs $60
I usually buy it locally rather than pay shipping.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:01 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:00 pm
IPA wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:46 am

Yes, I’m always astonished how cheap malt is in the UK. I use Maris Otter because it’s only slightly more expensive than domestic malt! Usually $75 vs $60
I usually buy it locally rather than pay shipping.
How about this for the price in Europe

https://brouwland.com/en/malts/11459-vi ... 25-kg.html

Alone we travel faster

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:10 pm

Twice the price here at $60 plus delivery.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:24 pm

I usually try to buy my base malts direct from the maltsters. Most recently I bought a sack of UK Pilsner malt for £17.40

Maris Otter was a little more pricey at £19.15.

I then buy speciality malts in smaller quantities from online retailers (The Malt Miller usually get my business for various reasons). Although I do try to ensure I buy enough to get “free shipping” which sometimes requires me to share an order with local HB friends (a terrible hardship, I assure you!).
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:57 pm

I too am lucky, just got 25kg pale crushed malt for £18. This is why struggle with the concept of buying a mill.