Yeast slope starter - signs of activity?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Hodda
Steady Drinker

Yeast slope starter - signs of activity?

Post by Hodda » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:30 pm

Hi All

Decided to try a BL slope for first time - followed the 3 tablespoons dme in 300ml route last night on a slow stirplate.

Can’t see any visual signs of activity tonight - it maybe that krausen dissipated through day, not formed, or not got going yet - do you see visible signs with these on such low started wort?

Anyway, I’ll leave it until tomorrow but want to step it up for a double batch 50l brew and had planned to step up this 300ml to a 2l.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Yeast slope starter - signs of activity?

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:01 pm

You didn't name the yeast, each has their own characteristics. The first stage can be difficult for the reason you describe. I don't use a stirplate, not suggesting you shouldn't, but instead I make a smaller starter to visibly see the yeast grow to colour the wort and then progressively sediment.

Have you got a ring of yeast deposit? You may need to stop the stirrer first. If there is you should be good to go and pitch the wort and yeast into the next stage.

Remember that at this stage you are not making beer, but growing yeast, so get the temperature to about 30C.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Hodda
Steady Drinker

Post by Hodda » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 pm

No, I didn’t post yeast!! It was Thames Valley 3.

I left the plate off since I posted earlier and there is some slight sediment / clouding near bottom, just very very little.

You’re right I guess, I have to compare it to a small population, rather than the population you’d see after 24hrs with an 11g packet or liquid.

I still can’t see that what’s in there is enough for pitching (at this stage I might add, not 24-48) so will check tomoz, just worried as I hadn’t seen any ‘activity’ at all as never used one before - call it reassurance 🤞🍺

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:28 pm

Every BL slant I've used started quickly enough, but doubt 300ml of wort would provide a decent starter. With what you describe, I suspect you will see far more yeast by tomorrow, and suggest you swirl and pour what you have tomorrow, or maybe Friday would be better, into 1 litre of new wort.

Once you have built a substantial starter, there will be very little lag when pitching into a brew, and you will be able to harvest at least as much yeast as was pitched without the need to make a starter next brew.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.