I'm curious, any kit winemakers here?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Horden Hillbilly

I'm curious, any kit winemakers here?

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any kit winemakers here?

In addition to beer & lager, I make wine from kits, my favourites are the 5 gallon Selection reds, 15 litres of juice to make 23 litres, so you can imagine that they are very full bodied & robust. Up to now I have made the Cabernet/Shiraz (Top notch!), I have a batch of Cabernet/Merlot maturing, it has been laid down about 6 weeks now. I am presently drinking the Selection limited edition Pinot Noir, it is superb!

I have made reds from the Vintners Reserve range before, being less full bodied I sometimes prefer them in the summer and a more robust wine in the winter. I have not got any in my rack though, must organise myself better for next summer!

Before I bought my 5 gallon fermentors about 3 years ago, I used to make myself the 1 gallon Beaverdale reds, while being fairly mild compared to Selection, they are nevertheless a pleasant & enjoyable wine. I know people who prefer them rather than Selection for that reason, it's just that I prefer a more robust wine myself.

Mrs Hillbilly prefers lighter wines, ie Beaverdale Whites, Chablish Blush, H&G Rose, CWE peach, etc. Regarding CWE kits, it's a shame to see that they will be no longer available soon as they have stopped making wine kits, They have been going as long as I have been brewing (many, many years now!). If anyone wants one grab them quick before they vanish forever.

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Not for many years... I learned these skills as a boy and as my folks owned a health food shop, I had plenty of out of date grape juice and fried fruit to experiment with to my heart's content! :D

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:44 pm

QUOTE (Reg @ Jun 2 2006, 08:19 PM) and fried fruit to experiment with
Was the shop in scotlandshire ?

;)

fizzypop boy

Post by fizzypop boy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:15 pm

:D :D

bod

Post by bod » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:16 pm

watch it sonny, just cos we all deep fry our mars bars, doesnt mean to say we eat fruit. :D

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:18 pm

:lol:

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:16 pm

HHB

The mrs likes a medium to dry white bordeaux style which I have a recipe for if you are interested - hardly much more work than a kit , has one me a few awards and works out at 50p a bottle. Has honey in it.

If interested let me know and I will post recipe

:beer

Glug

Post by Glug » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:54 am

Tried making wine many years ago but it always turned out s*@t.
Still got a bottle of vintage Blackberry and Apple from 1985 somewhere, don't know if it will be ready for drinking yet though. :huh:

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:50 pm

QUOTE and fried fruit to experiment with

When I was younger, I lived in a neighbouring village, the one made famous in Billy Elliot, one of the fish shop owners was a character, he always managed to tell a differant joke every time you went in his shop. As he was there for many years I don't know how he managed it! Anyway, one day he accidently dropped a pie into the frier, after leaving it in for a few minutes he took it out & ate it, he was that pleased with the taste that he put them on the menu, they went down a treat!

QUOTE The mrs likes a medium to dry white bordeaux style which I have a recipe for if you are interested - hardly much more work than a kit , has one me a few awards and works out at 50p a bottle. Has honey in it.  If interested let me know and I will post recipe.

That would be great! I have never made a wine from scratch before, there is always a first time.

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Dry White Bordeaux

This is for a 1 gallon ( 4.5 litre batch but I normally make 2 at a time so only using 1 yeast )

Apple Juice 1 litre
White grape juice 1 litre
Orange Juice 250ml
Honey 110g
Sugar 500g
Pectic Enzyme 1tsp
Yeast gervin no 5 is best
Yeast nutrient 1/4 tsp
Bentonite 1tsp
Water to top up to 4.5 litres

Note on the honey - just use bog standard honey like the squeezy bottle stuff at asda for less than a quid. Nothing too flowery.

Also heat the honey in a pint of water for 15 mins at approx 70c then skim off the scum.

Good luck.

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:03 pm

I started in home brewing about 2 1/2 years back making wine kits. Mainly just the 5 litre Beaverdale white kits, but also did a couple of Grand Maison kits too.

They turned out pretty good I thought, after around 2-3 months maturing, but I thought they really could do with a lot longer to mellow a bit. This was my main reason for changing over to beer brewing, as I was getting thirsty waiting for the wine to mature :lol:

I still have several bottles in the wine rack. In fact I opened a Chenin Blanc a few months ago that had been laid up for around 18 months. It was great, in fact I think it could almost compare to some comercial wines I've had.

I haven't made any now since brewing beer though for the last 18 months or so. I also never got around to making any from fresh fruit either. Probably because I'm too impatient to wait for it to get to it's full potential.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks for posting the recipie bigster, might give it a try in September, my brewing season is nearly over due to the warm weather, time to enjoy the fruits of all my brewing efforts over the last 9 months!

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:46 pm

That bordeaux recipe looks great

- elderflowers are just coming out. Elderflower wine or champagne I hear is amazing but I've not had the opportunity to try some. I have a good recipe for a grand tried and tested elderberry wine somewhere for later in the year.

Matt

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:02 pm

Just kicked off 2 gallons of that Bordeaux recipe tonight - my wine making has taken a back seat and stock levels at an all time low since being enticed in to the world of AG brewing :D

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:49 pm

QUOTE (Frothy @ Jun 4 2006, 08:46 PM) That bordeaux recipe looks great

- elderflowers are just coming out. Elderflower wine or champagne I hear is amazing but I've not had the opportunity to try some. I have a good recipe for a grand tried and tested elderberry wine somewhere for later in the year.

Matt
Just make sure you don't get any stalks or green in the brew. It ruins it. ;)