Stopping fermentation in TC?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
bigdave

Stopping fermentation in TC?

Post by bigdave » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm going to put a TC on next week & seems as I've got the facility to force carb and bottle, I'd like to kill off fermentation at about 1.005, force carb, bottle it bright & store at room/garage temperature.

Will transferring off the yeast, crash cooling & gelatine bring a TC bright and yeast free? If not would campden tablets bring anything to the party?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Stopping fermentation in TC?

Post by Pinto » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:34 am

Metabisulphate/Sorbate combo should do what you need.

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessori ... vt/0022657

Most turbo's will drop clear on their own, so a low temp chill for a week or so before kegging will give a nice, clear brew
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm

bigdave wrote:I'm going to put a TC on next week & seems as I've got the facility to force carb and bottle, I'd like to kill off fermentation at about 1.005, force carb, bottle it bright & store at room/garage temperature.

Will transferring off the yeast, crash cooling & gelatine bring a TC bright and yeast free? If not would campden tablets bring anything to the party?
Good article here on sweetening.
THE SCIENCE OF CIDERMAKING - Part 4 - Customising your cider - Sweet ciders

Safest way would to to ferment to dryness then add unfermentable sugar like sucralose (Splenda) or similar at bottling stage, but that may not be to your taste.

The hard bit is preventing bottles from restarting as its unlikely yeast will be totally removed.
Most cider yeast will continue to ferment at garage temps.

Sorbate stops the yeast reproducing but doesn't kill it so you'll probably need some metabisulphite too.
These will work best on cider already with a low yeast count.
To reduce yeast levels you may want to chill at just above 1005 to force yeast into hibernation so it drops, then treat the racked clear cider.

Good luck..

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Pinto wrote:Metabisulphate/Sorbate combo should do what you need.

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessori ... vt/0022657

Most turbo's will drop clear on their own, so a low temp chill for a week or so before kegging will give a nice, clear brew

Like pinto says, use sodium met and some potassium sorbate, that will stop any further fermentation.