Too...turbo?!

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
fozzeh
Tippler

Re: Too...turbo?!

Post by fozzeh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Right, long time since I posted last but kept an eye on some recipes.

Tried one which was 2l x apple, 1l of mango, 1l of passion fruit, tea, sugar, yeast (all as above) and topped with apple at the end.

Anyway, standard method, 8 weeks on and it looks like this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/4072/3c4j.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img838/7002/6q3z.jpg

Will this kill me? Haha! It’s a very thick sludge and doesn’t dissolve, flakes into the brew when moved. Yeast was ok (had about 3 weeks life left in it and the batch I did after was the nicest one I’d done yet), nothing done differently, ones before this (which are now 6 months old) are still clear and look very good sampled half the batch…letting the rest ‘mature’.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Probably fruit pulp - im guessing both the passion fruit juice and the mango juice were cloudy ones.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Pinto wrote:Probably fruit pulp - im guessing both the passion fruit juice and the mango juice were cloudy ones.
Plus one to that!!
If these are going to be siphoned off and bottled, be careful not to disturb the sediment.
They will settle out but they take a long time due to all the pulp.
When they are ready, they will be a beautiful drink!
WA

fozzeh
Tippler

Post by fozzeh » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:01 am

I've syphoned about 4 weeks ago so will give it another go tomorrow. Mango and PF were quite cloudy but went a lot clearer during fermentation...then this happened. I was hoping that it was just the pulp and not some kind of horrible bacteria.

fozzeh
Tippler

Post by fozzeh » Fri May 30, 2014 9:59 am

WalesAles wrote:
Pinto wrote:Probably fruit pulp - im guessing both the passion fruit juice and the mango juice were cloudy ones.
Plus one to that!!
If these are going to be siphoned off and bottled, be careful not to disturb the sediment.
WA
Came back to update. Taste - Apple and Mango J20's =P~

Siphoning was painful. It was extremely carbonated and wouldn't go through the auto naturally so I had to pump each one slowly. It then went flat but I think that was for the better. It was sharp and fruit with a heavy whiff of alcohol. You probably couldn't have put a match near it...pre-measuring put it around 5.4%...was probably closer to 8 or 9% in the end!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri May 30, 2014 9:35 pm

fozzeh wrote:
WalesAles wrote:
Plus one to that!!
WA
Came back to update. Taste - Apple and Mango J20's =P~

Siphoning was painful. It was extremely carbonated and wouldn't go through the auto naturally so I had to pump each one slowly. It then went flat but I think that was for the better. It was sharp and fruit with a heavy whiff of alcohol. You probably couldn't have put a match near it...pre-measuring put it around 5.4%...was probably closer to 8 or 9% in the end!
fozzeh,
Are you still making these TCs? Move on up to the 20Lt Brews. Just as easy to do and lots more good stuff to drink at the end! :D =D>
WA

fozzeh
Tippler

Post by fozzeh » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:55 pm

WalesAles wrote: fozzeh,
Are you still making these TCs? Move on up to the 20Lt Brews. Just as easy to do and lots more good stuff to drink at the end! :D =D>
WA
I just ordered some more yeast as want to get some cracking soon to be drinking towards September :D Just opened up a batch which had fruit pulp at the bottom (damn buying the more expensive apple juices) and slow decanted that into a couple of bottles. Had a litre and even the wife said it was "alright"!

As for going for a 20l one...I don't think SWMBO would be too impressed. Moans enough at the 5l bottles that are there :oops: