Bathtub gin

For any brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
lord.president
Hollow Legs

Bathtub gin

Post by lord.president » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi. I'm going to have a go at bathtub gin. Which is flavouring vodka with ginning spices. I've already got the juniper berries. Thinking of cinnamon stick, star anise and black pepper. Orange peel after a day or two.

Has anybody tried this?
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

BackO'Th'Shed
Tippler

Re: Bathtub gin

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:07 pm

I tried this a few months back and it turned out pretty well. SWMBO liked it so must be good (I'm not particularly a gin drinker). I loosely based it on Windspiel, which is a particular favourite of hers.

My recipe was 300ml vodka, 10g juniper berries, 1/2 tsp coriander seed plus 1/2 tsp dried lavender flowers left for 24 hours. I then added a piece of lemon peel and a 1/4in piece of fresh ginger (chopped) and left for a further 24 hours before straining through cheesecloth and bottling.

I also made a G&T saison using the same botanicals (plus cinchona bark and lemongrass for the tonic element) which has turned out really well.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Re: Bathtub gin

Post by lord.president » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Excellent. Thanks. I've got a litre of vodka so l may well split i to small batches.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Return to “Other Brews”