THC

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Curious Brew

THC

Post by Curious Brew » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:18 pm

That's Turbo Hybrid Cider before you start. :lol:

A quick trip to town has just enabled me to get my ingrediants ready for my first THC.

Samson's West Country Cider Kit
16 Litres Apple Juice (on offer in Sainsbury's, 16 litres for £4)

1Kg Dark DME (for my Montmellick Stout)
Stick on thermometer from the pet shop for my second FV

:D :lol:

Going to make up the kit but substiture the recommended kilo of sugar and ten litres of water for ten litres of apple juice instead... that still leaves me with six litres of juice, might put that in my stout! :twisted: :wink:
Last edited by Curious Brew on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbooth0070

Post by chrisbooth0070 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:56 pm

Wonder what it would be like if you did a straight replacement of all the water with apple juice???

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:55 pm

chrisbooth0070 wrote:Wonder what it would be like if you did a straight replacement of all the water with apple juice???
That would be equivalent to adding an additional 3-4Kg of sugar! :shock:

mikewest

Post by mikewest » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:23 pm

Would it not be like 1.6 kg sugar as 10l applejuice is 1 kg sugar if you used all the applejuice you bought or 2.2 kg sugar for a 5 gallon kit if replacing all water?

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:38 pm

mikewest wrote:Would it not be like 1.6 kg sugar as 10l applejuice is 1 kg sugar if you used all the applejuice you bought or 2.2 kg sugar for a 5 gallon kit if replacing all water?
Ah, you mean substitute the 16 litres I bought... not the entire 40 pints! :shock: :lol:

mikewest

Post by mikewest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:09 am

In the cold light of day I think I justified making rocket fuel worthy of the name THC. What would this work out at, 9% or something?

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 pm

Right, finally made it up tonight.

Sampson's West Country Cider kit
Supplied yeast and nutrient
11 Litres Sainsbury's Pure Apple Juice

Made it up same as a beer kit but just sprinkled the yeast and nutrient on top.

OG was a respectable 1.050, should get down to 1.000 or there about for a tasty 7.5%.

8)

MichaelPalmer

Re: THC

Post by MichaelPalmer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Curious-brew wrote:That's Turbo Hybrid Cider before you start. :lol:

A quick trip to town has just enabled me to get my ingrediants ready for my first THC.

Samson's West Country Cider Kit
16 Litres Apple Juice (on offer in Sainsbury's, 8 litres for £4)

1Kg Dark DME (for my Montmellick Stout)
Stick on thermometer from the pet shop for my second FV

:D :lol:

Going to make up the kit but substiture the recommended kilo of sugar and ten litres of water for ten litres of apple juice instead... that still leaves me with six litres of juice, might put that in my stout! :twisted: :wink:
Good lord.... that will be one great big cider-rific treat!

I salute you sir, for your services to TC!

And thanks to Adam for directing me to this fine forum

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Still bubbling away.

:D

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Got down to 1.008 in the end, would have liked it a few points lower.

Works out at about 5.5%, going to add more apple juice next time. Just sanitising now and then it's going into my King Keg with a litre of apple juice as a primer.

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:07 pm

Sounds great, let us know how it tastes compared to plain TC or plain kits after maturing, oh and don't forget the obligatory sample shots :lol:

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:14 pm

CyberPaddy66 wrote:don't forget the obligatory sample shots :lol:
Ahem. :oops:

Well, even straight from the sample jar it has a lot more "body" than TC isn't as dry.

Perhaps the higher finishing gravity isn't such a bad thing after all.

Can't wait to put the next one on and I've not even started this one yet! :lol:

bigandyb

THC

Post by bigandyb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:26 pm

just sampled a bottle of mine, blackrock cider kit and lidl juice with grewin champagne yeast. Very dry but not too fizzy. I think i should give it longer in the warm after priming. Nice tiny bubbles tho and very tasty. Gonna leave the rest for another month. only been in the bottle three weeks!
Andy

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:15 am

Been on the THC again tonight.

Very tiny bubbles, gives a head almost as fine as Guinness! Very good head retention, right to the bottom of the glass.

No where near as dry as TC and very appley.

Can't wait to get the next batch on!

Tempted to do a 23L TC, a 23L THC and 23L Cider Kit simultaneously to do a big comparison.

This will go down lovely with a barbecue. :D

bigandyb

Post by bigandyb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:28 pm

Had a bit of a drink on Friday with 3 friends and demolished the barrel of thc. it works tatstes great and everybody loved it. result!