Prison Style Hooch

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Adam

Prison Style Hooch

Post by Adam » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm

Bottled five litres of Prison Style Hooch today.
Tastes like a really tangy orange juice and worked out at around 4.5%

Basically poured 4 lites of Orange Juice (Asda Smartprice) on the used Turbo Cider yeast slurry and left for two weeks, added another litre of OJ and gave time to resettle before bottling.

Very much and experiment but the stuff tasted nice enough and i wonder if it will age at all.

I'm guessing at least a few of you have made something similar... did you like it?

smiles
adam

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 pm

DaaB wrote:That's the sort of thing Doug makes although he goes to ground at this time of year and doesn't resurface until the Autumn.
Does he go 'inside' the 'Big house' for a few months? :D
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Does he go 'inside' the 'Big house' for a few months?
I assumed he hibernated in some way.

smiles
adam

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:04 pm

I thought prison hooch was made with soaked raisins and sugar? Shows what I know :)

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:18 am

Martin the fish

Post by Martin the fish » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:34 am

Now i know i really don't want to go to prison

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:36 pm

i am really intrigued by the dried fruit high sugar aspect to those prison brews.

smiles
adam

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:38 pm

i just learnt that an old gin bottle can't take the carbonation of Prison hooch, small leakage.

This was over carbonated 1 litre of new orange juice to 4 litres of fermented juice was not a good ratio.

Also i don't think an hour was long enough for sediment to resettle after pouring a litre into water bottle with a long drop from neck to surface.

The over fizziness has over emphasised a yeastiness not apparent at bottling

Fingers crossed for the two, two litre pet bottles remaining

Lessons learnt in the early brews can only educate the taste of the later ones.

Hoping 4 litres are salvagable even if i have to let them go still, or decant.

Experiments will continue however with fresh information in hand and hope in my heart.

smiles
adam

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:46 am

This is the picture of the bottled product...
since then the gin bottle has proven itself unable to cotain the fizziness that Prison Style Hooch is becoming.

smiles
adam

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Adam wrote:a long drop from neck to surface.
I'm thinking serious oxidation on hearing this! :shock:

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:22 pm

as it was an experiment i will be alright if this stuff is spoiled... didn't think about oxidation...it was the first time that i used my 18 litre water cooler bottle as a fermenter. As i only put 4 litres in to begin with the litre at priming had to drop a fair way to mix in...

lesson learnt:
at least it wasn't cider, i now have 2 five litre containers for these smaller experiments.

This is an image of the fruit frenzy but apart from the contents, the set up was very similar to the prison hooch i did (at least with the frenzy i put the priming sugars straigt into the bottle : }

smiles
adam

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:50 am

This Prison Hooch had a tangy, acidic taste and i have to say that i really enjoyed it. I don't drink fruit juice (unfermented) that often but i think Sunny Delight used to do a Tangy or With Pulp bottle that this is very reminiscent of, of course the sunny delight bottle was unlikey to have the warming alcoholic kick that this one does.

As an equal opportunities drinker, i tend to give anything a go and this may be the nicest fruity alcohol that i have had including alchopops and cocktails although i'd be the first to admit i haven't investigated this branch of drinking too far or too recently.

smiles
adam

Madbrewer

Post by Madbrewer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Out of pure curiosity here I have to ask this, whilst really honestly not wishing to offend anyone at the same time but....

Do you/ can you actually ENJOY a glass of this stuff or is more about just producing alchohol for the hell of it? (Not tried it but don't think that I want to either :? )

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:26 pm

i'd say this was a really drinkable drink. you can of course just get a good vodka and an orange juice you like the taste of and come up with a similar result.

Part of it is the spirirt of adventure, part is wondering why no one else has or does do it. Also it obviously comes with a free story about the attempt whether it works out or not.

This one was enjoyable and me and a friend got through a 2 litre bottle before moving onto the more regular drinks. It was good at the start of a session. Which ended over 24 hours later with actual oranges so as to return some measure of vitamins to our bodies.

I definitely take no offense, but then again i find it hard to stick to one drink, even a drink i like a lot when i stay in or go out, i like to know what new/other things taste like. Otherwise i would have stopped at Turbo Cider made with Champagne yeast.

I don't really take comfort in having the same drink from everywhere (not saying that you do) that many of my friends have. Just because you find something you like doesn't mean there isn't something you would like better.

smiles
adam

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Adam wrote:. Just because you find something you like doesn't mean there isn't something you would like better.
my ex wife used to say that :lol: :lol: