Okay - AlcoLemon Failed but...

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
PMH0810

Okay - AlcoLemon Failed but...

Post by PMH0810 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Found Don Simon 100% pure grape and apple juice with raspberry puree. 100% natural, nowt added, 3ltr for £3.

Have kicked off a 4.5 ltr batch with 400g unbleached cane sugar and 1/2 a sachet Youngs Cider yeast (all the HBS had).

Wish me luck - OG 1.085 (hoping for an FG in the 1.010 area). may end up (if it kicks off) as rough as guts but hey, it's fun trying!

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:20 am

A fine foamy head 12 hours after pitching yeast - yay! :lol:

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:22 pm

If it works I can keep a stasdh to bribe any tracksuit/hoodie Chavs from mooching around our street corner

"No Mr, Please! We could see for days after the last one!"

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm

If all else fails you could run your car off it :lol:
Dan!

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:55 pm

I couldn't do that - I like my car.... my lawnmower maybe...hmmmm :wink:

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:52 pm

FG settled at 0,996ish and have bottled. Sampled in sampling and still fruity, with a real hit of raspberry.

Not bad. Drinkable (hopefully) in a fortnight and 11.3%

Next TC on is a "Base". Tesco juice, Young's cider yeast.

BillJames
Piss Artist

Post by BillJames » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi PMH

I use Tesco "value" AJ, is that what you are crafting your base TC from? How many litres to the finished five gallons do you use (what proportion of juice to water) and how much sugar syrup do you add?

Cheers

Bill

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 am

can't speak for PMH but my TC Alpha is apple juice + yeast with no added sugars or waters. That comes out at 5.5%+.

If you wanted a diluted version of roughly the same strength but less appley, choose how many litres of water you want to add, check the sugar per 100 mls in the juice and maintain that level through out the water component.

i.e. Sainsbury's A.J. has 11.2g sugar per 100 mls, so if i wanted a diluted Turbo Cider but with a similar percentage i'd add 112grams sugar for each litre of water i added.

I haven't done any diluted TC's but i am considering it, think a 4%er might be nice for the Summer but then i'd add water with no extra sugars.

smiles
adam

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:59 am

BillJames wrote:Hi PMH

I use Tesco "value" AJ, is that what you are crafting your base TC from? How many litres to the finished five gallons do you use (what proportion of juice to water) and how much sugar syrup do you add?

Cheers

Bill
Bog standard AJ from Tesco (not blue&white stripe) fermented in a 5ltr water bottle. There's usually a deal on.

No water, AJ, sugar/honey (your choice) and yeast! Oh, and as for quantity of extra fermentable? Go with what you fancy; my first TC had half a jar of honey, second had 4oz of caster sugar, third had 80z of demerera.

2nd & 3rd batches are conditioning (I KNOW, alright! It's TC and I should just drink it. Makes me happier to leave it a fortnight though!) but the siphoning sample I took from each whilst bottling did not leave me any worries!

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Cracked the Turbo Purple today. Tastes like cheap wine. Not unhappy, the fact it's TC means I can drink it in pint glasses and 5 litres of turbo purple cost me £7. 5 litres of cheap wine (I live near an Aldi) is £15.

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:04 am

Opened the 2nd bottle of turbo purple last night - a month after downing the first.

Won't be making this again; it's still pretty rough.

However, a good slug of Vodka in half a pint of it makes it quite palatable.

Next bottle (when I've run out of everything else) will be decanted into my HB jug and have a tin of lemonade added. Instant sangria?