Tomato Tang

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
monk

Post by monk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:20 pm

The dissolved mints reminded me...I saw a recipe in a magazine not long ago for a green apple lambic beer. It had wheat malt I believe, and included a couple pounds of green apple jolly ranchers (an intensely flavored hard candy).

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:47 pm

:lol: you guys :lol:

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:28 pm

The images a few people have wanted to see and that many probably wish that they didn't have to.

gave it a good shot of Piri Piri, its still giving off a pleasant odour of tomato.

smiles
adam

Lberg

Post by Lberg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:22 pm

how is this progressing?

I, like many are curious.

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:13 am

after almost 2 weeks it is still bubbling away really happily, giving off quite a nice fragrance. I'm not sure why it is bubbling far faster than my mead and cyser now but maybe they are slow burners.

Really should do some bottling tomorrow (beer, atomic lemon, TC) but might get put off until Tuesday/Wednesday. Tomato Tang will stay in the demi john until it is a lot calmer though.

smiles
adam

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:44 am

Lberg wrote:I, like many are curious.
Indeed. :lol:

Lberg

Post by Lberg » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:58 pm

well? is it ready yet?

Petrovitch

Post by Petrovitch » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:44 am

Over two weeks and no word...God I wonder if he tried some :shock:

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:08 am

well? is it ready yet?
ready is such a strong word.

I found away to keep myself out of the brewing cupboard for a few weeks the shame of brewing lager in there, even if it is for other people to drink.

Tomato Tang currently looks terrifying.

There is a layer of transparent red, then cloudy red and then a mass of what looks like curdled brains in blood.

I have not bottled it yet and as i said i have tried to keep out of the cupboard.

In great news my mead is superbly clear.

Will try to get on top ob brewing and bloggin this week so you can see some photos.

smiles
adam

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:48 pm

well, it turns out tomato tang is far too thick to syphon easily (or at all)...
its just too thick in general.

enter my jury rigged filtration system.

clean coffee filter type thing on top of an upside down colander draining into a large pot.

slow progress, dangerous levels of balancing.

disaster and clean up likely.

smiles
adam

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:31 pm

okay, that was alot of work but i have 2 litres of filtered Tomato Tang bottled so as i started with 4 litres its about a 50% loss.

Not sure if all the work on it will have oxidised it... if i do it all again i will do the straining before the fermenting.

Its come out at 10.5%+ it kicks like a mule and has a fire to it from the piri piri. Gonna lay it down for a while with the mead and cyser i laid down today and see what happens.

I would say it was a lot of work but i do now have instant bloody mary pretty much and served over ice this stuff would be fantastic.

Its not a gulping drink but for sipping (and possible slipping into a coma) its fantastic.

smiles
adam

fivetide

Post by fivetide » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Rather you than me, but I'm glad someone did it.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:24 pm

It was hard work.

but tomato tang exists in bottled form.

smiles
adam

Petrovitch

Post by Petrovitch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:21 am

I honestly think you deserve some sort of prize for actually doing this. If you and Curious-brew ever met very bad things could happen...

BillJames
Piss Artist

Post by BillJames » Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 pm

I have been away for a while, what became of the tomato tang?

Bill