turbo cider worry

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
oldaker11

Post by oldaker11 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:16 pm

All hail TC.

Fair enough it is a bit rough but it is lethal.
Going to try a THC soon. Just bought a Youngs brew buddy cider from wilko for £1.99 (Got a £5 voucher for haivng an online account and filling in a questionnaire).

Need a recipe for THC.

My current TC I mixed Pomegranate juice with apple juice. Also I added a banana and a tea bag to must. Has finished not so thin but cloudy.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:15 pm

i made up my THC with the same kit you have and 10 litres of Apple Juice instead of the sugar... then top up to desired volume with water.

smiles
adam

Lberg

Post by Lberg » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 am

PMH0810 wrote:My brother-in-law's workmate was told by his quack that he was seriously damaging his body with the home-made scrumpy he was drinking. Terms quoted were "stop or die".

Any truth in this?
I know someone who was banned from drinking old rosie by his doctor. the guy nearly cried.

eeyores61

Post by eeyores61 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:10 am

Life got in the way, but primo turbo now primed with apple juice, bottled in litres (old tonic bottles), still cloudy, and tastes pretty rough. So rough i couldn't actually bring myself to drink the bit left over - I spose it can't hurt you if you don't actually drink it :D

Went and bought cider yeast. Made up TC2 whilst serious multitasking going on - used allinson's again! :oops: Was distracted by daughter using flour and i think I thought I was making bread. Anyway been going for 36 hours ish and much more turbo than last time, i shook the maracas out of it this time, seems to have done the trick :D

eeyores61

Post by eeyores61 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 am

Update - went totally clear in the bottle, so tried a pint last night - smelled good, interesting flavour! Not great but better than any scrumpy I've ever had - excluding the stuff from the cider pub in Bristol many moons ago (Coronation Tap?). Totally lacking that horrible aftertaste from Strongbow etc, so I'm looking forward to the next one! :D

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

When brewing TC's its all about experimentation :shock: :shock:
Try adding syrups,trealces,different sugars or things like cloves and ginger...they all impart a different flavour to a TC :lol:
You wont go blind but you may just come across a drink that is worth dying for :twisted: :twisted:
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 am

Adam wrote:i made up my THC with the same kit you have and 10 litres of Apple Juice instead of the sugar... then top up to desired volume with water.

smiles
adam
My first THC was 11 litres of apple juice, the second that's just gone on is 12.

I think my brew length is too long, might go for a shorter stronger one next time.

oldaker11

Post by oldaker11 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 pm

TC IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THC

OG 1.060 FG 1.000 = ~8%?

Tasted loads better than TC. More body and flavour

Racked off yesterday into 3 5litre bottles and 5 primed wine bottles (screw cap).

Going to re rack the 5 litre bottles when settled.

How do i get rid of the crud in the bottom of the wine bottles without losing fizz!!

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Stick it in your freezer for a few minutes to get it REALLY COLD and pour it VERY GENTLY into the new bottle then re-cap :D

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:44 pm

eeyores61 wrote:Update - went totally clear in the bottle, so tried a pint last night - smelled good, interesting flavour! Not great but better than any scrumpy I've ever had - excluding the stuff from the cider pub in Bristol many moons ago (Coronation Tap?). Totally lacking that horrible aftertaste from Strongbow etc, so I'm looking forward to the next one! :D
I live close to the coronation pub which is in clifton village,they sell exhibition cider still only in 1/2 pint mugs.

eeyores61

Post by eeyores61 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Oh yeah - Only half a pint at a time! i think I can remember why too (but only vaguely) :D

just tried my first batch tc with cider yeast - really clean fruity taste (watch out Jilly goolden), might have another bottle later

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 pm

On the subject of TC worries, I had a nightmare last night that I'd run out of THC. I resorted to stealing the last half-pint off of a mate that was drinking it. Woke up in a cold sweat I can tell you. :lol:

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:16 pm

what is THC ?

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon May 05, 2008 11:21 pm

THC is Turbo Hybrid Cider... basically using a cider kit, instead of adding sugar you add AppleJuice for the same sugar value usually around 10+ litres. This leads to a hybrid kit/Turbo Cider drink.

Mine has just been moved to the kitchen... the keg will soon be my main source of cider becuase i am not loving my demerara TC as much as i had hoped.

smiles
adam