TC first-timer

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
edit1now
Under the Table

TC first-timer

Post by edit1now » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Meant to make beer today but I was worried about the HERMS lashup with the electric-drill pump, so I'm waiting for a March 809 from March May. Meanwhile some cartons of "Vitalife" apple juice from concentrate (LIDL) were calling to me, saying "OG 1045, you don't need to add any sugar". Young's Champagne yeast starter (1/2 pint water, four heaped dessert-spoons of sugar, 23.7̊ Brix = 1100!) went whoosh, so I tipped two 1.5l cartons of AJ into the demijohn with the starter and put it on top of the cupboard. No great signs of activity yet:
but I've left room to add the third carton in case I don't get the reputed foaming nightmare.

prolix

Post by prolix » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:58 am

any news yet?

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 pm

Bottled 6th of April at FG 1008, the bottling department assures me it's "definitely cider, maybe a bit on the dry side". Might test one tomorrow night after it's had a while in the fridge.

Bottling dept immediately slung two more 1l carton of AJ onto the sludge, but it didn't really take off until a further two went in on Wednesday 9th. Now it's glupping happily again.

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:29 am

Tested a bottle last night. It's a bit rough - not very appley, a bit acidic (malic?), with the least hint of something eggy (hydrogen sulphide?). Might see how it is in another couple of weeks if the bottling department hasn't drunk it all by then. I wondered if it might have got an infection during bottling?

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks for that.

Any thoughts about the champagne yeast I had versus the bread or ale yeasts other JBK-ers have used?

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:57 pm

A third batch of AJ is now bubbling away on the original yeast - how long can this go on for? Haven't sampled the second batch yet. It's had about a week in bottle so tomorrow probably.

Bedlington beer

Post by Bedlington beer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Is that really all you need do? Add more AJ?? My first batched bottled today was a mix of 2x AJ (a year old. Does that make them vintage?) and 2 x 49p cheap fruit mixes. Cheaper the better to start i thought. lots of Sludge...just add AJ? no sugar no yeast?? WOW.
2nd batch in an actual DJ (gettin posh) is all AJ. 1st batch was in an old brew bucket...4l looked quite lonely in it.

I have just remembered I have 3 x water fountain containers empty but sealed....I think I love TC, and i have only had 2 sips.

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:01 pm

One of the experts posted here that you can do about three or four before it will start to go a bit nasty, unless you're an experienced yeast re-culturer.

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 pm

edit1now wrote:One of the experts posted here that you can do about three or four before it will start to go a bit nasty, unless you're an experienced yeast re-culturer.
I've managed three from the same slurry. I reckon the yeast would probably go on a damn sight longer if you're careful. TC seems to be extremely resistant to infection so you've probably no trouble unless you start stirring it with a stick you found in the garden. :lol:

We should have a competition, see who can get the most good batches from a single sachet.

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:13 pm

Further bottles from that first batch were much nicer - I think the extra couple of days in bottle must have helped. Gone now, so must start drinking the second batch.

bigandyb

Post by bigandyb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:34 pm

tried a couple of litres of my tc with cranberry, black rock yeast. a world apart from the first batch, mellow, fizzy and a pleasure to drink!

Andy