THC #2

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Curious Brew

THC #2

Post by Curious Brew » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:42 am

John Bull's Cider kit, supplied yeast, 12 litres Sainsbury's Pure Apple Juice (112g sugar per litre), 23 litre length but a surprisingly low 1.046 OG.

Been on since Saturday night and the yeasty head is already pressing against the lid. Hope it turns out as well as the last one.

Tempted to try doubling up a kit without additional sugar to see if I can create 23 litres of madness...

bigandyb

Post by bigandyb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:55 pm

just done another blackrock kit with 10.5l lidl aj and 250g muscovado, a gerwin champagne yeast, no big head but fizzing away like alka seltzer. Also doin a 9l TC with 250g of sugar and dried cranberries and the blackrock cider yeast. this smells a bit odd but not unpleasant. will keep you posted.

bigandyb

Post by bigandyb » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm curious, curious, what do you mean by doubling up, two cans extract in 23l of water??

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 am

bigandyb wrote:I'm curious, curious, what do you mean by doubling up, two cans extract in 23l of water??
Aye, two kits made up to a total length equal to one kit.

You wouldn't get the bitterness problem that you would from doubling a beer kit see...

bigandyb

Post by bigandyb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:26 pm

gonna bottle and keg my latest THC on saturday, 100mls apple juice in a 750ml champagne bottle?? Gonna do about 8 of these so gonna have about 17l to keg, 2l of apple juice in this?? Could do with a bit of advice on this, Ta

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:01 am

bigandyb wrote:Gonna do about 8 of these so gonna have about 17l to keg, 2l of apple juice in this?? Could do with a bit of advice on this, Ta
I found 1 litre ample for a keg, kept it carbonated right to the last.

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:43 am

Kegged my THC #2 yesterday.

Got down to a respectable 1.002, quite a bit lower than the first batch. About 5.8% by my reckoning.

No sense of taste or smell at the moment but I'll try it when I regain them.

bigandyb

Post by bigandyb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:48 pm

kegged mine on monday, .998 jusy shy of 7% or there abouts, looked very clear so added a touch of the yeast when syphoning to help it along in secondary. 10L tc with cranberry bottled as well, got a pink tinge to it!! coopers bitter kegged too so gotta put somethin else on to keep stock rollin!

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:49 pm

Just having a QCP* now. Considering it was only kegged yesterday it sure ain't bad! Very appley nose, reasonable sweetness but a bit sour - I'm expecting that to mellow before it reaches drinking age, if it ever reaches it!

* Quality Control Pint

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:50 am

Okay, so I had four testers. :oops:

Still very nice. :lol: :lol:

bigandyb

Post by bigandyb » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:45 pm

will resist till next week i hope, all still cloudy and SF warm yet, boo.