turbo cider help

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
redsmufc

turbo cider help

Post by redsmufc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:45 pm

i am making my first 4litres of tc, in dj using youngs cider yeast starting last night how long will it take to starting bubbling and frothing as i keep hearing about... :?

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Each TC is an individual, don't even think about pigeon-holing it! :lol: ;)

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 am

the quickest take offs i have had have been with yeast slurry from other brews (almost immediate).

from dry yeasts i have seen bubble of from 15 minutes after adding and up to 30 hours later (well i didn't watch the thing for thirty hours but that was the check in that showed movement.

Others feel differently about it but sometimes i would advise a damn good shake to get the yeast mixed in and agitated.

smiles
adam

dreadstar

Post by dreadstar » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Anyone know when adding juice to the slurry will it get stronger each time if i contiune to add the same amount of sugar. Just something i read perhaps a brewing myth or i miss interpreted and he meant you dont need sugar as its in the juice but if u want it stronger then u need to add sugar to bring the OG up to the desired reading.

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:01 am

i don't think that the yeast would improve so much that it made more alcohol out of the same ingredients but it will probably work through them a sight quicker.

Applejuice has enough sugars in it th beat the 5% mark without the addition of further sugars. Adding sugar however should increase the strength of your final product.

smiles
adam

dreadstar

Post by dreadstar » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Adam wrote:i don't think that the yeast would improve so much that it made more alcohol out of the same ingredients but it will probably work through them a sight quicker.

Applejuice has enough sugars in it th beat the 5% mark without the addition of further sugars. Adding sugar however should increase the strength of your final product.

smiles
adam
Cheers for clafifying :) I'm a little scared what the strength of my first TC im drinkin now is though hehehe tastes like a strong wine to me :)

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:03 pm

my Turbo cider omega hit out at over 12% but its overcarbonated too so i usually cut it with weaker brews.

that was 10 litres aj with 1kg brewing sugar. I am experimrnting with TC and sugar at the moment but have to say i like the no extra fermentables TC a lot.

smiles
adam

landy813
Steady Drinker

Post by landy813 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:02 pm

The yeast will kick in soon youngs yeast always seams to have a long lag time. I add 100g of sugar to my TC and regularly get between 5-8%ABV depending on yeast used i can recommend using Gervin Yeast - Varietal C or Lalvin DV10 but the Lalvin stuff is getting hard to find now.
Landy.

Bedlington beer

Post by Bedlington beer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:10 pm

Has anyone put together a list of recipes, for these fabled brews?
TC Omega,
TC Pig etc
TC Alpha

If so wher is it please?

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Bedlington beer wrote:Has anyone put together a list of recipes, for these fabled brews?
TC Omega,
TC Pig etc
TC Alpha

If so wher is it please?
Never heard of them, what are they?

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:00 pm

i think they are the names that different forum users have given to there different batches.

Turbo Cider Alpha and Turbo Cider Omega are both mine.

Turbo Cider Alpha - my first (and probably favourite) Turbo Cider is the simplest.

Its simply Applejuice + Champagne Yeast and makes a dry, sharp farmhouse like cider.

My first batch was the best and i think the key was that i used two different applejuices. ASDA Smartprice and ASDA Homebrand juice. Assuming that they aren't exactly the same composition it could have been this and overpriming that made my first batch my best. 5.7%

12 litres ASDA Juice
8 Litres ASDA Smartprice Juice
Youngs Champagne Yeast

Primed with 3 litres of Applejuice. (After 12 days)

This did lead to difficult opening (over a sink) but a wonderful appleyflavour.

Turbo Cider Omega - another overprimed and this time overstrong brew and only my second experiment. It is a fantastic drink to put a shot of into pedestrian (Cheap Supermarket) ciders to transform them into something tasty. 12.3%

8 litres Apple Juice
1kg Brewing Sugar
Champagne Yeast

Primed 2 litres Apple Juice. (after 13 days)

I would consider remaking this as a still drink, like an apple wine.

smiles
adam

p.s. the blog has information on every brew that i have attempted so far.

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:27 am

Bedlington beer wrote:Has anyone put together a list of recipes, for these fabled brews?
TC Omega,
TC Pig etc
TC Alpha

If so wher is it please?
TC Fat Pig is mine; 4.5 ltrs AJ, two jars of "blue & white stripe" honey and 2 oz of raisins. Used Youngs Cider Yeast. Still "conditioning" but turned out in the 11.5% bracket.

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Ah right-oh.

I've only had two types, the dry thin sugared and strong variety and the non-sugared weaker variety.

Much prefer my THC now. :D

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:22 pm

When back in funds (Pat Leave hurts) I intend to try THC - seems the next logical step.

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:00 pm

my THC is more than rested but i am being good, had a pint to test it and it is gorgeous. Tastes more commercial than TC but more appley than a commercial cider.

smiles
adam