Cider Kit Recomendations

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
ni9e

Cider Kit Recomendations

Post by ni9e » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:01 am

Hi Guys SWMBO wants me to make her a cider from a kit as she wants to give her liver a rest from TC :shock:.

She likes a strong dry cider can anyone recomend a decent kit to try and also what temp should a kit cider ferment at?

Thanks

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:03 am

I found the Weston's kit to be very good, I fermented it around the 21 degrees Centigrade.

pongobilly

Post by pongobilly » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:58 am

never seen the westons kits, where do you get them

Duffbeer

Re: Cider Kit Recomendations

Post by Duffbeer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:25 pm

ni9e wrote:Hi Guys SWMBO wants me to make her a cider from a kit as she wants to give her liver a rest from TC :shock:.

She likes a strong dry cider can anyone recomend a decent kit to try and also what temp should a kit cider ferment at?

Thanks
John bull cider kits are also v good.

Curious Brew

Re: Cider Kit Recomendations

Post by Curious Brew » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:13 pm

Duffbeer wrote:
ni9e wrote:Hi Guys SWMBO wants me to make her a cider from a kit as she wants to give her liver a rest from TC :shock:.

Thanks
John bull cider kits are also v good.
I've got a John Bull THC on the go now.

I go the Weston's from my LHBS.

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:22 pm

I like the JB kits too, good flavour. They do turn out very dry indeed, if you like that.

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:02 pm

I can definately recommend Black Rock Cider from New Zealand. I made the last one with 1kg of Tate and lyle and 250g of muscavado and it turned out great.

ni9e

Post by ni9e » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Went with the John Bull Country Cider kit in the end it was the only cider kit in the HBS.

It says in the instructions to use granulated suger to make it up will it make any difference if I use Brewers Sugar?

Thanks

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:34 pm

ni9e wrote:Went with the John Bull Country Cider kit in the end it was the only cider kit in the HBS.

It says in the instructions to use granulated suger to make it up will it make any difference if I use Brewers Sugar?

Thanks
Brewers sugar will be fine.

Alternately you could make THC by adding an equivalent quantity of apple juice in place of the sugar...

ni9e

Post by ni9e » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Cheers CB gonna make a bogstandard kit see'in as its my first attempt THC is next on my list :D

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:00 pm

I always use table sugar, I don't think it ferments out quite as dry as glucose, but it could be my imagination...

I would recommend making 32 pints, regardless of whether you go for the 5% or 7% instructions with the kit. Obviously, with 1Kg sugar in only 32 pints, it will be stronger than 5%, but the flavour is better. I usually follow the 32 pint 7% instructions, it turns out pretty good, but a bit potent...

Martin the fish

Post by Martin the fish » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:31 am

MightyMouth wrote:I can definately recommend Black Rock Cider from New Zealand. I made the last one with 1kg of Tate and lyle and 250g of muscavado and it turned out great.
I'd vote for the Black Rock cider too. Very drinkable. Needs to condition for a good 8 weeks to get the full benefit though. Mine are just about there and taste great. Can be drunk earlier though. :wink:

jonnyv

Post by jonnyv » Fri May 09, 2008 7:59 am

I would say that 16 days is a bit too long in the FV as the yeast had mostly dropped out before you bottled it. If this did happen then there wouldn't have been enough yeast in the bottles to carbonate.

Did you add priming sugars to each bottle when you bottled it?

Jonny

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:19 am

I noticed no one recommended the youngs kit? :lol:

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Fri May 09, 2008 9:27 am

My John Bull THC turned out just fine, in fact I've been drinking it for weeks ever since I kegged it. It should be mature soon, if it lasts that long.

Bought two more JB kits on Thursday afternoon. 8)