TC small-fv LARGE

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Duncndisorderly

TC small-fv LARGE

Post by Duncndisorderly » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Im planning on putting 5 litres of apple concentrate , yeast and yeast vit into a 5 gallon carboy and leaving it be for a week, my question is this, Will puuting such a small amount into a large vessel cause me any problems? and if so should i use my spare pressure barrel as the FV and pressurise it a little?

prolix

Post by prolix » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:44 am

buy a 5l bottle of water and use that as a fermenter do water you like with the water, it came free with the bottle.

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:05 am

Seems a shame not to fill the rest of the carboy with juice as well... :lol:

Duncndisorderly

Post by Duncndisorderly » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 am

Curious-brew wrote:Seems a shame not to fill the rest of the carboy with juice as well... :lol:
The idea had occured to me but never having made it before i thought id do a small batch first just incase i arsed it up badly, still nothing ventured etc :twisted:

Duncndisorderly

Post by Duncndisorderly » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:15 pm

In the end i went with a 5 litre water bottle, some yeast vit and a gervin champagne yeast, all seems to be going well so far, ill try and get some pictures up

Duncndisorderly

Post by Duncndisorderly » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:30 pm

dreadstar

Post by dreadstar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:23 pm

So what effect would having too small amount of liquid in your fermentor? I got my TC 8L in a 25L fermentor bucket haven't noticed anything yet but it's my first so wouldn't really know.

Duncndisorderly

Post by Duncndisorderly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:27 pm

Im not really sure as i the end i went the way of the 5l water bottle,
I'll tell you what i can be sure of,i bottled the TC on monday evening and the small amount i couldnt squeeze into a bottle i drank.

and it was very very sharp

and very very nice, i also threw another two cartons of apple juice on the remaining slurry

Science is cool \:D/

Duffbeer

Post by Duffbeer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 pm

dreadstar wrote:So what effect would having too small amount of liquid in your fermentor? I got my TC 8L in a 25L fermentor bucket haven't noticed anything yet but it's my first so wouldn't really know.
It would not create a problem whilst ferment is vigorous and co2 being produced, nor if your going to bottle immidiatly whilst still cloudy. But if your going to leave it to clear after ferment has finished then there's a good chance it will oxidize and be open to contamination.

dreadstar

Post by dreadstar » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Duffbeer wrote:
dreadstar wrote:So what effect would having too small amount of liquid in your fermentor? I got my TC 8L in a 25L fermentor bucket haven't noticed anything yet but it's my first so wouldn't really know.
It would not create a problem whilst ferment is vigorous and co2 being produced, nor if your going to bottle immidiatly whilst still cloudy. But if your going to leave it to clear after ferment has finished then there's a good chance it will oxidize and be open to contamination.
Cool :) Guessing I should really invest in one of them airlock bubbler things so I can see how things are going without letting to much air contact my brews.