Hazy wine.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
smok3y666

Hazy wine.

Post by smok3y666 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:04 am

I have made some flavourless wine, just sugar, water, yeast, nutrient and activated carbon. The sugar I used was unrefined cane sugar. It hit it's FG of 0.990 so I siphoned it off and added the Turboklar 24 which is supposed to clear the stuff in 24 hours however, there are still a few bubbles rising and it is also hazy. I presume this is chill haze? What should I do? I was thinking of leaving it in the shed for a few days, it is currently indoors in the kitchen.

evilsoc

Post by evilsoc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:17 pm

What yeast did you use? Alcotec stuff? leave it in at 20c ish until its stopped bubbling then move to the cold shed. There's no way to rush it.

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:54 pm

I used Still Spirits triple distilled kit. The first time I did it, it did clear within 24 hours like it says it's supposed to but this time it has stayed cloudy but sediment has settled on the bottom of the bucket. The oinly thing I did different this time round was to properly degass it which I didn't do with the first lot and I used unrefined cane sugar instead of normal white sugar.

evilsoc

Post by evilsoc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 pm

I have no experience with those kits sorry but I wouldnt expect it to be clear unless you used refined sugar.

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:41 pm

I'll give it a few days in the shed then carry on with what I was gonna use it for either way.