cherry cider using prohibiton kit yeast

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Edmund

cherry cider using prohibiton kit yeast

Post by Edmund » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:13 pm

so i tried one of those prohibition gin kits that make up to 21% alcohol. I've mixed the left over yeast from this kit with 4 litres of cherry juice and 500grams of sugar (belgian candi crystals that i wasn't going to be using).

I'm guessing the result will be a strong cherry liquer type thing, who knows! :wink:

Beerwulf

Post by Beerwulf » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:21 pm

who knows indeed - but it sounds like a very worthy experiment :o

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:55 pm

here's the stuff bubbling away Image

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:57 pm

bah how do i get my image up?

anomalous_result

Post by anomalous_result » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:11 pm

ok here we go

Image[/img]

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:12 pm

hoorah

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:14 pm

tis quite big, with that ones succes i'll try one of my brew cupboard, not that it's very intersting just a cupboard in my flat

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:34 pm

coor blimey it's quite strong, as expected, a bit acidic but if you mix it with some lemonade it makes a palatable experiment/drink :?

PMH0810

Re: cherry cider using prohibiton kit yeast

Post by PMH0810 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:04 am

Edmund wrote:so i tried one of those prohibition gin kits that make up to 21% alcohol. I've mixed the left over yeast from this kit with 4 litres of cherry juice and 500grams of sugar (belgian candi crystals that i wasn't going to be using).

I'm guessing the result will be a strong cherry liquer type thing, who knows! :wink:
I have never seen cherry juice - where do I find it? Only now I fancy 3ltr aj and 1ltr cherry TC.

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Sun May 04, 2008 7:42 pm

ooo that would make sense, it's cherry nectar i think, anywhoo it's sold at somefield in 1 litre cartons (looks like a kinda foreign label)

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:21 pm

I was in Tesco's the other day and they had several different "Nectar" drinks made from concentrate, there appeared to be no added guff so it might be worth a go :D

Can't remember what flavours they were because I was doing my weekly shop in a totally new store (well it was new to me :lol:) and doing my best not to get stressed out :roll:

BillJames
Piss Artist

Tesco "Nectar"

Post by BillJames » Mon May 12, 2008 8:10 pm

Tesco Apple "Nectar" contains 50% AJ for 48p. Tesco Value AJ is 100% for 58p. Aldi value AJ is 52p. Look at the carb content
per 100ml to work out the fermentables per litre per £.

It seems wrong to pay the supplier to dilute your juice with sugar they can buy in bulk so much cheaper than you can then let them make a profit of 80% ish MORE than they make already from value juice.

Must be worth looking in to who benefits from "nectars" as against pure, albeit "value" grade juices.

We TC'ers need to find our own source of thr "concentrate" from which most of the value juices are made from.

Bill

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:03 am

Wasn't someone on here looking into buying one of those big blue barrels used for transporting the concentrate, I wonder if they'd let one go for a song :lol:

BillJames
Piss Artist

Post by BillJames » Fri May 23, 2008 6:34 pm

There are plenty of these barrels about. In Colchester, Jack's Stores sell 'em for less than £20 for waterbutts. Where can we get useable amounts of conc. AJ? A 200ltr barrel ful is not much good unless I can use someones heated swimming pool for a FV.

Bill