A few wine questions.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
celt

A few wine questions.

Post by celt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Started the wine off on sat, seems to be doing ok, its nice and frothy.

1. On the instructions, it says to check gravity once a day.
So I gather, I will have to sterilise the container I use, to get the wine out.
Can I make up a pint of s.s. and keep it in a plastic drink bottle ?
Or do I need to use fresh s.s every day ?

2. Instructions do not mention stirring the wine, tho on a leaflet from wilkos, it says to stir every day ?

3. There is no activity in the airlock, when can I expect some ?

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:40 pm

The only time I check gravity is when it's supposedly at the end of fermentation and I want to check the FG with what it says in the instructions. As for stirring everyday, I only stir the up when I am at the degassing stage. If you think it hasn't kicked off fermenting yet give it a gentle stir to see if that will get it going.

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:21 pm

If it's nice and frothy (therefore fermenting) then leave it to do it's job, if your air lock isn't doing anything I'd check the neck of the DJ for chips and cracks as the gas is probably getting out before it can build up pressure enough to push the air lock fluids about :wink:

As for testing with the Hydrometer I agree with Smok3y, I only check at the start (If I remember) and at the end to make sure it's finished.

I have a mate who's been brewing for over 20 years and he doesn't use a hydrometer (he keeps one for emergencies only), consequently he never knows how strong his wine is :lol:

celt

Post by celt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Yesterday, it was very frothy, I looked at it today and the froth is dissapearing ?
Gave it a stir, still no air bubbles.
Its in a 5 gallon plastic container so no cracks or whatever.

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:23 pm

There is a chance (however remote) that it's done it's job and finished fermenting, how hot is it and have you used a Hydrometer yet?

celt

Post by celt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:20 pm

CyberPaddy66 wrote:There is a chance (however remote) that it's done it's job and finished fermenting, how hot is it and have you used a Hydrometer yet?
I only started it on sat, they have not got the hydrometer container in wilkos. Will test the temp tomorrow.
Have a nasty feeling it may have failed. :cry:

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:55 am

celt wrote:they have not got the hydrometer container in wilkos.
If by this you meant you have a Hydrometer and no testing tube then don't worry, make sure it's filly sanitised and lower it into your bucket to test the brew.

If the temperature is up in the high 20's anf you have a very striong yeast then it's possible you have fully fermented the whole lot in 48 hours, the Hydrometer is the ONLY way of being sure what's happened.

If you test it and it's not finished then have a little taste, if it's still sweet and does not have any off or vinegar like flavours then rousing the yeast or adding nutrients to your bucket might do the trick. Failing that you could always throw another yeast into your bucket but remember to test it 1st BEFORE you do anything else!

celt

Post by celt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:12 pm

O.K. Got the hydro jar anyway today.
Hydrometer reading is in the middle of 1.030 and 1.040
Temp is 19 C same as water been standing for my houseplants.
It tastes very mild and fruity, not like vinegar at all.
No bubbles in airlock.
I think the hydometer reading was about 1.070 on day one.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:18 pm

lets say 1.070 down to 1.035 ... 35 points make it about 4.6%
i would think that it has a way to go yet. It might just be working quietly but i haven't doen a wine yet.

smiles
adam

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:46 pm

Just because there arent many bubbles through the airlock, doesnt mean it isnt fermenting.....it should drop to 1.000 at least, perhaps even 0.990

what sort of kit is it?

keep checking SG every couple of days to see if it is still dropping...

regards
Bob

celt

Post by celt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanks all, There are not 'ANY' bubbles in the airlock.

It is a 'Bards' Italian red 7 day kit although I used a different yeast as the origional one was past its use by date.

So I gather from whats been said so far, I just keep my eye on the gravity to see if its dropping.

Bob, We are round the same age then, mine is July, so who is the oldest Git ?

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:08 pm

YAY!

you are, mine is in August :)

celt

Post by celt » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 pm

lockwood1956 wrote:YAY!

you are, mine is in August :)
o.k o.k you big kid ! What about my wine ?

It was between 1.040 and 1.030 last night. Tonight it is smack on 1.030

Does that mean its doing ok ?

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:21 pm

Looks like it's dropping slowly, if it gets any slower I'd try stirring up the yeast a bit (make sure you don't splash) and see what happens.

Duffbeer

Post by Duffbeer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:10 pm

celt wrote:Thanks all, There are not 'ANY' bubbles in the airlock.

It is a 'Bards' Italian red 7 day kit although I used a different yeast as the origional one was past its use by date.

So I gather from whats been said so far, I just keep my eye on the gravity to see if its dropping.

Bob, We are round the same age then, mine is July, so who is the oldest Git ?
What yeast did you use ?