New to cider making & need a few answers please if poss

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
ipbr21054

New to cider making & need a few answers please if poss

Post by ipbr21054 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 pm

I am making 32 pints of BrewBuddy cider.
All items have been sterilised.
I started the mix sunday night and a bit confused about leading up to the next stage.
Instructions with the tin shows it will be ready in about 7 days but may take 2 days extra due to the stronger mix being made ie 32 not 40 pints,when sg is 998 or less bottle or barrell.
I have decided to barrell my brew.
When i bought my pressure barrell the man said on the 7th night add 2oz of sugar to the pressure barrell then syphon the mix from the bin to the barrell and leave in the warm room for another 2 days then move to the garage etc for say 1 week.
I am now not sure if i am to leave it for the 7+2 days instructions or do what the man said ?.
Also on the top of the pressure barrell is the white cap with what looks like a small plastic valve,do i need to fit a a CO2 injector system as i have seen it on other pressure barrells on the internet but not sure if i remove the standard cap,then fill up the pressure barrell then fit the CO2 injector sytstem or only fit the injector system after the brew has been in the garage for 1 week with the standard cap installed or dont need the injector system at all.To be honest i am not sure what the injector system does or how it works.
The next brew i make i assume getting it from the bin to the pressure barrell by the syphon method may take some time looking at the bore size so i have bought a tap.
Is there any reason why i can fit the tap to the bin and just use the tap to get it from the bin to the pressure barrell.
If there is no reason why i cant can you please tell me how far from the bottom of the bin i need to fit the tap so i dont get all the muck in the pressure barrell.
Sorry for the long story and just joining etc but getting close to the next stage and want to be prepared not to mention being 100% clear for the next attempt.
Thanks very much.

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Ok as i started the brew last sunday i will transfer it to the pressure barrell this sunday.
Once in the pressure barrell sunday night do i leave it in the warm room still or do i move it to a cool area that night.

Regards the injection system do i need to fit such a thing ?.
Does it help with the cider flowing out of the tap when required or is it designed that when pints are pulled off it keeps the barrell pressurised so the cider dont go flat etc i am looking at one on ebay if it is the correct item as it lists cylinders or bulbs item 220210431629.

When this batch is done i will fit the tap 27mm from the bottom of the bin & i assume that the black washer supplied with the tap fits the outside on the bin as opposed to the inside.

I will also use the 5/8 tub as advised.

If you could answer the above i think i have things sorted.
Thanmks for your help..

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Ok i will get the injection system with some bulbs.

The tap is about 18mm.

Thanks

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:23 pm

I've just made this kit. I brewed it up in the fermentor for about 1 week, making it up to 32 pints. Then siphoned it off into a barrel with 80g of sugar and kept it in the house nice and warm for 1 week before finally putting it in the shed to condition for 2-3 weeks.

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:09 am

You say you put 80g of sugar into the barrell.
The instructions show 56g of sugar,please can you tell me what you will achieve by putting in that little extra.

Not being rude but just curious to learn different ways.

Thanks

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:13 am

for a keg i usually add 80g sugar dissolved in 100ml boiling water in a pyrex dish/jug and reheated to boiling in the microwave once the sugar is dissolved, then this is the first thing to go into my clean barrel.

As priming sugars its there to help carbonation which not only gives you the delicious bubbles but creates carbon dioxide (i think) to protect the brew from oxidisation.

As to why 80 grams it is the level of sugar i have heard recommended most. As you are doing less than 40 pints maybe the higher sugar levels will help fill the barrel with safe gases quicker but i am not sure.

smiles
adam

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am

Same as above, everyone else seems to put 80g in for priming.

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:00 am

I usually prime my cider with a litre of apple juice, keeps it going to the end of the keg but can be a little lively to start off! :lol:

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Ok thanks i will try 80g of sugar.
I have ordered my injector system & bulbs which should be here friday.
On Sunday i will add the sugar mix to the barrell and then transfer the brew from the bin into the barrell.

A question about the injector system.
Do i just screw the cap on and thats it leaving me to then fit the co2 bulb at a later date OR do i fit the cap & then fit the co2 bulb straight away.

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:33 pm

I think you fit the cap then use a c02 bulb at a later date when it needs gassing up. You'd probably have been better getting an s30 valve fitted to your cap and getting a refillable c02 cartridge.

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi,
I was going to move my brew from the bin to the barrell tonight but things have happened that will prevent me from now doing that until wednesday.

Will my brew just sit there ok until wednesday or should i get it in the barrell quick ??

I have taken some sg readings as follows,
TUESDAY 1.020
THURSDAY 1.004
SATURDAY 1.000
SUNDAY 0.998