Spirts

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Nullsleep

Spirts

Post by Nullsleep » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:07 pm

i know, i know owning or using a distill is illegal bla bla bla but i have seen yeasts that say they make vodka with out a distill any one used this and what is it like?

think its called Still Spirits or some thing, i was in my HBS the other day looking at the flavors they have that you add to vodka and was told i could do it this way.

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:56 am

The highest turbo yeast will go upto 23% but it has to be under strict temps and can only be made in smallish batches due to the yeast increasing temps when it's fermenting. Also when you come to buy the essences, having used both Prestige and Still Spirits, from experience I have found the Still Spirits range to be more true to the original drink you are trying to copy.

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:01 pm

i'm making a sloe gin kit, it's fermented out but i've got to wait for the charcoal to clear (yes that's right charcoal). I syphoned it once but knocked it slightly and some charcoal deposit went in and turned the whole batch black again so i've got to wait for it to clear again. I haven't tasted the end product but it sseems like a lot of hassle.

I've also reused the yeast with some cherry juice and sugar, it's very strong and quite acidic, i think this turbo yeasts don't doo much for flavour, stick with champagne yeast if you want to do small experiments

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 pm

I could be wrong but i am sure it was at a SCB meeting a few years back i was told that the law had changed & you could make homemade spirits it was only something like 1 or 2 bottles a week for your own consumption

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:32 pm

yeah i should've chosen plain gin but i thought i would be put off by the fake taste, with sloe gin i've just got to add the flavouring and then loads of sugar.

anomalous_result

Post by anomalous_result » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:22 pm

DaaB wrote:I wonder if that was a myth propagated by a homebrew shop owner wanting to sell these home distillation 'machines'?
They're water purifiers and nothing more guv'nor. :lol:

Doughboy

Re: Spirts

Post by Doughboy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:12 pm

[quote="Nullsleep"]i know, i know owning or using a distill is illegal bla bla bla.........

Is it actually illegal to own a distiller?..
What you use it for may contravene staying within the law or breaking it...
but i beleive these things are readilly sold and can be legally used for non spirits - although they are "capable" of making spirits...

I thought it was much the same loophole as the radar detectors you could purchase - leagal to buy but illegal to use....

just wondering..

PS..dont own or do it anyway - im an ale man thru and thru and if i fancy a kick, TC will do the job..(i actually get more sh*tfac3d" on TC than vodkas and other spirits who's price IMO is extortionate to buy anyway.

How easy is it and cost to apply for a distiling license anyway for home use not to re-sell?

Doughboy

andywills

Post by andywills » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:16 pm

wonder how long this thread is going to go on before someone starts sweating and locks it? :D

anomalous_result

Re: Spirts

Post by anomalous_result » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Doughboy wrote:How easy is it and cost to apply for a distiling license anyway for home use not to re-sell?
If I recall correctly a distiller's licence is dirt cheap. In order to get the licence you need premises on which to distill, it's unlikely on the site inspection that they'll see a residential property (eg two-up two-down with coal hole) as suitable (application form). Also they can refuse the licence if the largest still to be used has a capacity less than 1800 litres.

As soon as the premises are licensed HMRC get the power of spot checks, equipment seizure (with all manner of internal samples taken, one hopes of the vessels) etc.

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:01 pm

PS..dont own or do it anyway - im an ale man thru and thru and if i fancy a kick, TC will do the job
agree with you there, the whole point of drinking ale is that it tastes nice and is reasonably good for you, getting tipsy is a welcomed side effect :lol:

i tried this high alcohol fermentation kit but it's too much hassle, takes a long time and putting all the charcoal in it makes a messy job, i've also reused the yeast for fruit juices and it's not as good as TC with champagne yeast.

Stonechat
Under the Table

Post by Stonechat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:40 pm

DaaB wrote:
Is it actually illegal to own a distiller?..

Nope but it's illegal to use one for the distillation of alcohol (without a licence).
I believe that getting a licence is not easy either. I remember reading an article about the chap who produces Somerset Apple Brandy with a couple of imported S/H French Calvados stills. He had quite a delay in starting production due to C&E, alledgedly :wink:

Nullsleep

Post by Nullsleep » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:50 pm

well i am a bit shocked at the people talking about this and distilling, well i just wanted to know what this high ABV% yeast and kits are like i have used the flavors from the still spirits range with some vodka i got from asda, just wanting to know of a cheaper way with out braking the law, as i am a good boy :twisted:

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:23 pm

yeah like i said it's a lot of hassle to ferment for 2 weeks and then add this charcoal that turns your basin black when you wash it out.

That said you can get a turbo yeast kit, add the sugar required then when it's fermented out you add your gin flavouring. Then when you want a gin and tonic just put twice as much gin in the mix as you normally put.

the kits come to about 15 quid i think, and make a gallon of 21%, so comparing it with buying a bottle of gin you get 1/2 a gallon for 15 pounds. I don't think it's worth it as 1/2 a gallon of gin from the shops isn't much more than that.

Here's a good place to get high alcohol kits http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... _Kits.html

Nullsleep

Post by Nullsleep » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 pm

edmund that shop is like 5 min walk for me, if that, but i was looking at the flavors from still spirits and using some 21% yeast to make it, i have worked out it would be cheaper to do it this way, but i was looking at "Spirit Base kit 5 Litres" and "Still Spirits Triple Distilled Turbo Yeast" when i was in there today, but like all ways the best thing to do is try it for you self which is what i will do i think

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Thu May 01, 2008 12:56 am

Most of the stills I've seen are for making 'essential oils' or purifying water.
Owning one is therefore legal..
The two uses mentioned are the most benign reasons for owning one..
Making spirits is still pretty benign considering some of the things stills can be used for. And in this climate.. it's probably better not to own one at all.. Especially if you've got a tan, or a jordanian passport stamp.