Eager to taste but not sure if i should

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
ipbr21054

Eager to taste but not sure if i should

Post by ipbr21054 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 pm

I have made some cider and it is now in my pressure barrell.
It has been sat in my bedroom for 4 days now in 20 - 25 degrees temp.
Saturday i am going to put it in the shed to clear for a few weeks.

When i put it in the shed is there any point having a taste on saturday?

Dont know why but thought i would ask as having it sat there looking at me is not fair.

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:57 pm

There's no reason you shouldn't have a taste but it will be a lot better after 3-4 weeks.

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:05 pm

I understand it will be better in a few weeks but its like a kid with a new toy.

When i pull off a small amount what am i expecting it to taste like,should i be looking for anything,like how well it pours etc or how cloudy it is so i can compare it to the finished article in a few weeks ???

Not sure what to look out for if anything but if i dont ask i wont learn and as this is my first attemp i need some info.

Cheers for the reply

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:16 pm

Well, all I can say is yes it will probably be cloudy and don't expect it to taste all that good. Best advice I can offer is just try it every few days and find out.

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi,
Today i moved the barrell from my bedroom to the garage and left it to sit idle for one hour.

I poured off say 1/2 a pint and yes it was a little cloudy & taste was noting special.
After leaving the remains in the glass for say 3 hours it was nice and clear.

When i opened the tap i got a nice hiss and a nice big head on my cider in the glass.

Did i not leave it to settle long enough before pouring or possibly added to much sugar or is it that i cant pour it correctly.

I added 3oz of sugar to the barrell as per instructions.
I also assume over time it will aquire some kind of strength as did not seem to kick as i thought it might,to be honest it was just like fizzy yellow water.

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Cider is deceptive, I had some scrumpy once that tasted like water, a pint later and my legs didn't work!

The longer you leave it to mature (up to 3 months IMHO) the better it will taste and clear, the excess CO2 will be absorbed into the cider making it a bit more fizzy as well.

prolix

Post by prolix » Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 am

mine tastes totally inoccuous but I know it's not sneaky beast is cider

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi it has been 3 weeks since i put my cider in the shed.
Today i pulled off a drop for a taste.

Upon pouring i get a hiss and a nice fizzy head which settles within seconds.
"THATS THE GOOD BIT".
I then taste it and i think it would be ok to use if your sink was blocked etc.

Remember at the fairground years ago you could win a large bottle of bubbly which looked like a champagne bottle but when you tasted it the drink was like a 99p bottle of fizzy wine this is what my cider tastes like.
It does not taste any differentt to the day i put it in the shed.
The kit was a brew buddy cider which i believe is from youngs u brew,i added an extra 3oz of priming sugar as per instructions to the pressure when transfering.
Any clues as what i can do to do something to the taste etc as i have tasted better water.

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Mon May 26, 2008 7:44 pm

I would suggest putting a couple of fingers of apple juice in the bottom of the glass before pouring in the cider, then at least you would get some apple taste.