7 day wine kits

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
umpa

7 day wine kits

Post by umpa » Wed May 07, 2008 2:10 am

how do these kits work ?
do they have some sort of turbo yeast?
or is it some other chemical?

All the other wine kits I have made have been 28 days

Thanx

Ump...

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:17 am

They take longer than 7 days usually, its just a selling gimmick

when they say 7 days, 4 week or 6 week kit, it is only a guide, and it is misleading, as they give instructions that say on day 4 do something to the wine, but it really is the SG reading that is the time guide, not the amount of days, but this is not made clear enough, and its an area where newbies go wrong, as they follow the directions to do "whatever" on the prescribed day...... more emphasis should be placed on the use of the hydrometer to make decisions on when to move to the next stage in the wines development.

regards
Bob

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:01 am

From reading the Hambleton Bard website I think the faster fermentation and what not also reduces the flavour compared to the longer kits. I have a 3 week kit on the go and it has already gone 2 days over.

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 pm

the bigger kits have more substance in them and so this means they take longer to ferment out, these 7 day kits have about 1 litre of grape juice in them, the big kits can have as much as 18 litres of juice.

there is no extra technology attached to these 7 day kits (in fact they contain less of everything....including quality :) )

umpa

Post by umpa » Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi guys,

Thanx for the replies,

Yeah I figured that whilst there would always be variables, but thought that perhaps the concentrate contained some sort of enhancer or more easy fermentable sugars or something.

The kits in question are these :- http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0240203

I have been making these :-
http://www.easybrew.co.uk/products.php?id=127

And thought they were ok, but the youbrew 30 bottle kits seem far better value, but if its going to make 30 bottles of horse wasser, it might be a problem.

Anyone ever made these ?

Cheers

Ump..

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 pm

They are decent quaffing BBQ wine, but not as good as the California connoisseur range (IMHO)

with wine kits you (generally) get what you pay for

regards
Bob

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:54 pm

If you want real quality wine, then watch out for an announcement in August about what wine making grapes we will be importing from Italy this year....around £7.50 per box (20lbs) and 1 box makes between 1.25 and 1.5 gallons of top quality wine, we are processing the grapes in West Yorkshire, you are welcome to come and join us and camp the night, or stay at a local B+B

details here
http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/foru ... y.php?f=85

regards
Bob

smok3y666

Post by smok3y666 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:23 pm

I made one of the Young's 7 day kits myself when first starting out and never made one again. The Beaverdale kits are good but expensive. We have also found the kits that Morrison's do to be acceptable after a month or so in the bottle. I currently have a Carafe 21 kit on the go as I have never done one before.

umpa

Post by umpa » Thu May 08, 2008 6:38 am

Oh dear, I hope mine turns out ok.

I was given the kits for free (out of date) but its fermenting like the clappers so I guess it will be ok, if not I have only wasted 4kg of sugar.

I have started to do country wines too, my strawberry & grape have been fermenting for over 20 days now - not sure what will happen as I have a nasty habit of making up my own receipe (usually because I dont have all the ingredients).

Lockwood - I have joined your forum - I have been looking for a good wine forum, my next project is Mead.

Many thanx guys

Ump..